Data Migration Question

Reaction score
I am installing Snow Leopard on a new drive on my Mac Pro as my other drive is failing. People on the forum recommended I use Data Migration to move all my data off the other drive onto my new one...However, is that the best thing to do since I have a lot of corrupt files on my old drive? Some files wont even transfer off the drive because they are corrupt and cant be read. Wouldn't it be better to start fresh and new even though it will be a pain to reinstall all my files, and redo all my settings? Couldn't the corrupt files cause new problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is application files that are corrupted then yes migration wouldn't be the best option and the "painful" option would be better. If however it is just system files that are corrupted then seeing as the whole OS isn't transfered, just you apps and files then you should be fine.

Hope this makes sense

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it makes you feel better by all means do a clean install and manually install all your applications etc. Just make sure you have original system discs and passwords etc on hand before you start.

Network settings can be a little difficult, so write everything down if you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.