Mbp 2,2 only work in safe mode

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an old mbp 2,2 that won't start unless I boot in safe mode.
If I try to start it normally, it has jagged graphic distortions already before the apple appear. It then loads, grey screen, blue screen - then total graphic distortion again! Here it is completely stuck. Sometimes it doesn't even get past the grey screen...

What I don't get is why there are no distortions when I enter safe mode!?

Can someone please help me understand what is going on?

Btw, the system is completly reinstalled and updated to 10.6.6

Modellnamn: MacBook Pro
Modellidentifierare: MacBookPro2,2
Processornamn: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processorhastighet: 2,33 GHz
Antal processorer: 1
Totalt antal kärnor: 2
L2-cache: 4 MB
Minne: 2 GB
Busshastighet: 667 MHz
Boot ROM-version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC-version (system): 1.12f5

ATI Radeon X1600:
Styrkretsmodell: ATY,RadeonX1600
Typ: Grafikprocessor
Buss: PCIe
PCIe-bandbredd: x16
VRAM (totalt): 256 MB

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you start your Mac in safe mode, some drivers and other things are not loaded. See this Apple KB article: LINK

You may have software installed or recently installed that's causing the problem. It's not likely to be a hardware problem since it operates OK in safe boot mode.

OP
R
Reaction score
When you start your Mac in safe mode, some drivers and other things are not loaded. See this Apple KB article: LINK

You may have software installed or recently installed that's causing the problem. It's not likely to be a hardware problem since it operates OK in safe boot mode.

Thanks chscag,

But I have nothing installed except Snow Leopard... I just made a clean installation :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I admit that is strange. Now I'm beginning to think that maybe it is a hardware problem. It almost sounds like a GPU defect but what puzzles me is why it doesn't do it in Safe mode? It could very well be that in the absence of drivers and other processes in safe mode that the GPU runs OK until everything loads up.

Do you think you can disassemble your MBP? If so, you might want to take it apart and clean it out. It could be that the fans are clogged and the vents obscured to allow cooling. Take a look at the take apart instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual for your model. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.