Trouble Deleting Files

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to delete some old video folders that are taking up a lot of space on my hard drive, but whenever I try to move the items to the trash it tells me "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." I already tried to Verify and Repair permissions from Disk Utility, but it didn't work. I have the same problem trying to delete some Adobe folders from my Applications folder. I uninstalled all the Adobe Applications that I had on my hard drive using AppCleaner, so I'm not sure why those folders have stuck around. I'm still fairly new (I've only had my MacBook for 2 years) to the Mac OS and I didn't know what I could do to fix this. Thanks in advance for your help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if you get info on the items, then click on the little lock at the bottom of the inspector window, then put your admin password in, the change access for 'everyone' to 'read & write' that should let you edit the files.

OP
E
Reaction score
if you get info on the items, then click on the little lock at the bottom of the inspector window, then put your admin password in, the change access for 'everyone' to 'read & write' that should let you edit the files.

I know that I didn't clarify this in my original post, but I tried that before I even posted on these forums. Also, I am the only account on my MacBook, so also the Administrator.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah no worries, same situation here, im the only account and admin, but certain files/apps (itunes for example) dont let you edit anything without doing that first :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Ah. Well, I tried it again and nothing has worked yet. Freeing up this hard drive space ASAP would be muy bueno. :D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i thought the adobe applications had an uninstaller? id trust that more than app cleaner.

OP
E
Reaction score
i thought the adobe applications had an uninstaller? id trust that more than app cleaner.

Tried that before before I used AppCleaner. The program became unresponsive every time I tried it. After the 4th or 5th try I just switched to AppCleaner to get the job done.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... you could try running cleanmymac in authorised mode to get rid of the adobe, but it costs money and im not sure if it would work.

Reaction score
hmm... you could try running cleanmymac in authorised mode to get rid of the adobe, but it costs money and im not sure if it would work.

We have CleanMyMac on both of our Macs (v1.9.4) and I can confirm from experience that it removes the full Adobe Master Collection if need be. We had to uninstall it once and reinstall, probably a month and a half ago. You have to do it in authorized mode, and set it up properly, but if the O.P. wants to try that, I can provide a how-to. Naturally it's 3rd party so I won't guarantee anything, but it worked for us and I can specifically write how it did, when I'm not working, if it's wanted :) It's a handy little program, for more than just uninstalling things :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.