Just bought my first Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
Ive just purchased a new Macbook Pro with the following spec.

17-inch LED-backlit glossy Hi-Res widescreen display (1920 x 1200 pixel)
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

I will be using it for video and photo work as well as running windows for other work that will only run on windows.

Im not a pro at anything I have purchased it for, I know little about photo and video work and all I know is that im told a mac is better than a pc ?

My question is, is this a decent spec laptop ?
Would I benefit greatly from buying 8gb ram ?

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Isn't it a little late to ask this question...since you've already purchased the laptop...and would have to pay a restocking fee if you returned it?;)

I would say give the 4 gig of ram you have currently a try. If it doesn't seem to workout...then upgrade.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Ha ha...kinda late to be asking that, isn't it?! FWIW, it's a pretty awesome computer...should be plenty of power for your uses. As it ages and software becomes more advance you may want to upgrade, but for my uses it would be more than enough.

I don't think so...at least not yet. I'm only going on 2 GB RAM on a 4 year old MBP and my computer is running like a charm. I also use some pretty heavy programs (photoshop CS3 along with Adobe Bridge) without any negative affects.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.
I would download and run OnyX periodically. You can download it directly from Apple's site. It's a utility tool that cleans out your computer. I had never heard of it 'til about a month ago. When I ran all the clean-up utilities my start-up time went from 90 seconds to 30 seconds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.