MacBook Air 13" purchase

Reaction score
Hello !

I have a question regarding the new MacBook Air 13". In February I'm going to USA NY for a two week vacation (I am from EU). I would like to buy the new MacBook Air while I'm in NY, because I can save 600$ If I buy it in USA rather then in my country. However, I would like to buy not the basic version but the one with 4Gb RAM-

1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage

The question is do I need to order before I go to USA, or I can just walk in any Apple store in NY and they will have this specific version of MacBook Air ? Another question is regarding warranty. Should I buy it or not ? For example when I bought my Canon 40d, I also spend additional 200$ for internation warranty. I never used it and now it is over.
Oh, one more thing. I have heard that newegg.com is one of the best store for computer parts. However as far as I understand they don't have an actual store, they sell items online and then they deliver them by mail. Does that means that I can't buy computer items from them as I'm staying in a hotel ?

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I checked with my former Apple Retail store, and they are unable to upgrade the RAM in store in a MacBook Air. However, they did have the high end models with 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD, 2.13Ghz processor in stock for purchase. I would assume the stores in NY have the same.

As far as ordering from NewEgg or some other online vendor, I would imagine if the order were shipped via FedEx or UPS, the concierge at the hotel would be able to receive it for you and keep it at the front desk for you when it arrives. NY is used to business customers receiving mail, faxes, packages, etc., although a small gratuity might be in order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Oh, and as far as AppleCare goes, I'd purchase it back home, because you're limitations are based on the country in which the AppleCare agreement is purchased. Your country might have options available that the American version does not. I would recommend it, as three years of hardware support is a good thing, as is being able to pick up the telephone and ask questions at no additional charge. However, it's not an insurance policy - no help if your computer is physically broken.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you for information. However what are you thought about warranty ? Do I need to spend extra 200$ for international warranty or not. Because as I said with the Canon Dslr I sepnd extra 200$ on international warranty only to later discover that nothing really can happen if you don't drop your camera or something like that. Of course there all some little percentage that your computer will be the one who has some manufacture error and will brake, but commn it is really small chance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do as EvenStranger advised. Apple care for all practical purposes is an international warranty. However, as he stated, it's better to purchase it in the country where you live as some of the warranty options may be different. Most warranties do not cover accidental damage unless you have specifically purchased that option. It's usually sold separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd suggest emailing or calling OWC before ordering and letting them know your plans. I'd hate to hear that you missed out on something you were planning to order, because the delivery address was domestic and the billing address is foreign. Sometimes credit card anti-fraud protections kick in with "international" types of transactions unless preauthorized ie: they may wish to contact your billing home phone number in the EU to verify a purchase. ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you for useful information. However to concretize, do I need to order the specific specification of MacBook Air-
1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
before going to the Apple store in NY ? Or I can just walk in the store and buy the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd call ahead. Seems to depend upon the store. Here in Minneapolis, they didn't have any in stock and said they did not receive "custom" configurations in that store. I was told I would have to order a "custom" system online (2.13Ghz/4GB/256SSD). However, others seem to have been able to find some on-hand at the store. Never hurts to check ahead of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you never use the AppleCare agreement for service, you're looking at less than $10 per month for international warranty coverage and phone support. Apple charges, I think, $50 per call outside of warranty. A hard drive replacement (not an uncommon repair) will cost as much as the agreement, if not more since it's solid state. Get the AppleCare. It's one of the few extended service agreements I would recommend.

Reaction score
comment

I agree with XD, call OWC first prior to buy. I on the other hand bought an Air but returned it in two days. My major reason for return was the fact that all parts internally are permanently soldered to the logic board which is a big no no. Therefore, an individual cannot repair, modify their own equipment in the future. i bought a certified,refurbished 13" MBP and modded the **** out of it for the price of an air. I say do the same, you get more bang for your buck and get closer to knowing that machine you have

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That should not have been a surprise as all MacBook Air machines since the very first model are not upgradeable with regard to the memory. And Apple clearly states that the new Air is likewise not upgradeable. What you buy is what you get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.