iMac Recall

Reaction score
I finally figured out the issue with my mac, and it turns out to be a very common problem due to a faulty design with the late 06 iMacs.

You can see a video of this problem here (not my computer, but same problem, mine isn't this bad yet, but it's getting there..)
YouTube - Demo of iMac Graphics Defect (Late 2006 iMac, ATI X1600 GPU)

Apple is trying to dodge responsibility (*** apple!!), so there is a petition you can sign to help get a recall and get this problem solvied.

Request to Recall Late 2006 Intel iMac - Petition Spot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why would they recall it? It doesn't work right, but it's not dangerous (eg. won't explode, catch fire, or electrocute anyone) so there's no reason for a recall.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why would they recall it? It doesn't work right, but it's not dangerous (eg. won't explode, catch fire, or electrocute anyone) so there's no reason for a recall.

On top of that...this computer is a "Late 2006" model (over 4 years old)...kind of a long time for the OP to be talking about a recall!

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Did you watch the video? It's really aggravating, glitches all over the screen, can't do anything intensive, I crash at least 4 times a day. It's a defect in the design, and Apple wants $1000 to fix it. The is computer is ONLY 4 years old. I've had multiple mid-range HP's that didn't even cost $500 that lasted much longer on stock hardware with heavier MUCH gaming than I have done on the Mac.

I didn't start the petition. I just found it, and I agree. I don't have $1000 to spend on a 4 year old computer that I barely spent over $1000 for, and I certainly can't afford a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Did you watch the video? It's really aggravating, glitches all over the screen, can't do anything intensive, I crash at least 4 times a day. It's a defect in the design, and Apple wants $1000 to fix it. The is computer is ONLY 4 years old. I've had multiple mid-range HP's that didn't even cost $500 that lasted much longer on stock hardware with heavier MUCH gaming than I have done on the Mac.

I didn't start the petition. I just found it, and I agree. I don't have $1000 to spend on a 4 year old computer that I barely spent over $1000 for, and I certainly can't afford a new one.

ONLY 4 years old? There's quite a few people that replace their computers every 4-5 years, 4 years old is definitely NOT a new computer anymore. :) Then again, Macs do tend to last much longer than your average PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you watch the video? It's really aggravating, glitches all over the screen, can't do anything intensive, I crash at least 4 times a day. It's a defect in the design, and Apple wants $1000 to fix it. The is computer is ONLY 4 years old.

I understand that you're upset...but if you've had this computer since it was new...you've gotten 4+ years of use out of it. Granted...you should get more use out of it...but 4+ years in "computer years" is a VERY long time. If this computer "crapped out" after only 6-12 months...that would be a different story.

It's sort of like saying you drove a new car for 4+ years (at 15,000 miles/year)...gotten 60,000+ miles of use out of it...have a problem...and now think that you deserve some sort of compensation. No you don't! You take it to a repair shop or a dealer...pay the big bill (just like the rest of us)...and move on.

In case you didn't know...a 4 year-old iMac is probably only worth about $250-$300 bucks (depending on the exact model). Major & minor repairs on computers are very expensive...that's why on a 4+ year-old computer...it's generally not worth it.

I agree with you that you should probably have gotten more years out of this computer...but hey...sometimes "stuff" happens.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Feel better with it off your chest? Still it is a four year old computer period.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but the fact is that everyone is having this problem with this model iMac...

I'm going to say that this problem is not as widespread as you seem to think. I think that you've been reading a lot of posts on various internet forums where folks with a problem have been posting.

Remember...99% of the time...it's folks with a problem who are much more motivated to speak out about it. The 90-95% or more who have had no problems have no real reason to post.

Let me give you THREE examples of where Apple has done the "right thing" when it comes to problems with their computers:

1. There is still an open repair program for a faulty x1900 video card in Mac Pro computers from 2006 to approx. 2008.
2. There is still an open repair program for faulty 8600GT video cards in 2007/2008 MacBook Pro's.
3. There is still an open repair program for cracking of the plastic "top case" in MacBooks from around 2006-2008.

Not only has Apple done the right thing in all three of these cases...but all THREE of these repair programs were extended beyond their original end dates!!!:)

If the problem with your iMac was as widespread as you say...I really think that Apple would have addressed it. Apple has one of the highest customer service rankings in all of the computer/electronics industry (if not the highest)!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.