iWork or Office?

Reaction score
Getting a mac and trying to decide to get iWork or Office 2011. At the moment I use Office 2007 on my PC and really like it. I have submit uni assignments in .doc file, but my understanding is iWork can save it as a microsoft word file, and have to do presentations using powerpoint on a pc. Excel and everything else I really have no use for.
So pretty much Microsoft word and powerpoint 2011 vs iWork.

p.s can you still buy mac office 2007?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no such application "Office 2007 for the Mac". Office 2007 is Windows only. You're probably referring to Office 2008 for the Mac, and yes you can still purchase it on line and many other stores that sell Mac software. Latest Office version for the Mac is 2011, however.

If you're in school, my advice is to purchase Office not iWork. iWork does well enough for most things, and is very good at layout work. However, for maximum document compatibility you should buy Office 2008 or 2011.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have iWork '08 and I use it for school with no problem. I have no real issues with compatibility but that's just me. It's cheaper then Office too. :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, i3, 3.6ghz, 21.5", 4gb Ram OSx 10.6.6
I'm looking at the same thing

I have just bought an Imac and i have the same question office or iWork.

The thing im looking at is Office should be more compatible with PC's as i have to use a PC for work, I know you can export the file in iwork as a office file but when im constantly changing docs this would be a pain to have to export the file everytime so im probaly going to get office for those reasons.

Office is probaly the best thing Microsoft ever made. but then if i used a Mac out side of home i would probaly go with iWork as its a cheaper option.

A note to Eric559: if you do go for Office get it from Amazon as its cheaper then from Apple, also if you get iwork download it from the app storre as it cost less on there then buying a retail pack for the apple store unless you want to put it on maltiple systems. You really need to shop around and look at what packages are out there depending on how meny systems you want to put it onto.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note that the iWork applications which can be purchased from the App store are from iWork09. Apple will be releasing a new version of iWork fairly soon according to MacWorld Mag. And, if they follow their normal line... you will not be able to read or write to a document created on the newer version from the older version. A big disadvantage, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office despite being a Microsoft product is the top office suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.