migration assistance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I am planning to sell my current MBP and apply the funds towards a new one. I have my hard drive backed up (cloned with CCC). Here is my question....

If I were to sell my current MBP, could I put the bare disc in a doc and connect it to the new MBP and use migration to transfer all of my data/apps/etc. over to the new MBP, as if I were cloning or restoring?

I don't want to make the mistake of selling my current mbp and thinking I can just transfer everything over and then find out I can't!

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the migration assistant to transfer everything to your new machine but the best way is backup everything on the old machine using Time Machine. Then when you turn on your new machine for the first time, it'll ask you if you wish to restore. Just attach the TM drive and let it restore everything. System files on the new machine will not be overwritten.

Keep the CCC backup around just in case. And BTW, if you purchase your new machine from an Apple store, they'll do the transfer for you for free.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Thanks for the info. I have a spare drive that I can use for Time Machine, so I think I will do that too. I went to the Apple store and was told it would cost $100 for that because it would fall into the "one on one" category.

I may actually just go with a used MBP, so I will likely be doing this myself. I haven't decided on the used option yet, but thinking about it. Reason? I want both FW800 and an express card slot so I would have to go with a 15" from 2008 or 2009 I think. I don't want a 17", I have one already and want a smaller mbp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.