MBP 2008 spitting out blank DVDs

Reaction score
so about a month ago I was using iDVD to burn movies and it kept spitting out the blank ones i put in. i kept trying and was able to burn 1 movie. my computer doesn't even recognize the DVD when i put it in outside of iDVD. it'll make a sound then put spit it out within like 10 seconds. ive tried updating the firmware, but it says i dont need it. blank cds are fine, my MBP can see those
i am an animator so i would like my movies to be on disks

any help is appreciated!

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:

Firmware Revision: AP12
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried a different brand I have had no problems on 3 different Mac's using TDK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to your local Office Depot, Staples, etc. and buy a can of compressed air and use it to blow out the inside of the drive. See if that helps. If it doesn't you may be looking at replacing the drive. Your machine is going on three years old and the optical drives used in the MacBook and MacBook Pro are prone to failure. Yours is probably on the way out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.