Question for AIM users

Reaction score
I have had my PB for a few months now and have finally got around to asking this question. When using AIM, and putting an away message on, if I close the PB or leave for nearly any amount of time over 3-5 minutes, it automatically signs me off. Does this happen to everyone. On my PC desktop at home, I can leave AIM on w/ an away message unattended for days, well actually an unlimited amount of time, point being it will not sign me off. Does the Mac just do this, or is there something I can do to prevent this? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
your going to have to sign up for something like this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you close the lid the powerbook goes to sleep, thus shutting everything off to conserve energy (including internet connection), disconnecting you. Leaving it for 3 or 4 minutes won't sign you off but leaving it alone for the period of time that you computer is set for til it sleeps will disconnect you.

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the quick response. So virtually there is no way to stay signed on unless your computer does not go to sleep, because it shuts off the internet connection.

Thanks again.

B

brianwithan eye

Does it shut down internet altogether, or just the airport card. I have yet to use my powerbook on a wired connection but when i leave for college this fall that will change, so will I be able to remain online then or is it still going to log me off Adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When the computer goes to sleep EVERYTHING is turned off to conserve battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
everything but the ram is turned off... but this is a easy solution... don't put your computer to sleep.. leave it open and change the prefferences so that is stays awake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
PowerBookG4 said:
everything but the ram is turned off... but this is a easy solution... don't put your computer to sleep.. leave it open and change the prefferences so that is stays awake.

yep, thats what i did for 2.5 years
-chris

O

oinkydoodle

PowerBookG4 said:

Wouldn't this be bad for an iBook on AC power? I'm thinking of heat issues here.

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm having the same problem, only I don't use AIM, I use Adium. I love Adium, I just wish there was a way to stay signed into it while the computer is in sleep mode. Is this not possible to change at ALL?

P

phantasma

its impossible, sleep for any type of computer is that it saves all active processes into the ram and shuts everything down and only the ram is active, nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Would just putting the display to sleep be sufficient enough power wise? Or is it smarter to put the entire computer to sleep nightly?

Taylor

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
Another AIM question:

How come every time I put the computer to sleep or AIM gets shut down, and when I reopen AIM, all of my saved away messages are deleted and my profile has been erased? This never happened on my PC desktop?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
TOYOTA said:
Another AIM question:

How come every time I put the computer to sleep or AIM gets shut down, and when I reopen AIM, all of my saved away messages are deleted and my profile has been erased? This never happened on my PC desktop?

Thanks again.
Well, it's not normal.

Rather than actually try to help you with that, I'll take the easy way out and ask if you've tried iChat :mac:

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
No, I've never used iChat, but everyone uses AIM, so it doesn't make any sense for me to it. I'm sure its a great program, but it would be rather useless for me to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
TOYOTA said:
No, I've never used iChat, but everyone uses AIM, so it doesn't make any sense for me to it. I'm sure its a great program, but it would be rather useless for me to use.
iChat is an AIM client. Only, it sucks substantially less than the actual AIM client. Just select "AIM" instead of ".Mac" when you set it up.

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
Oh, ok, wow, I was not aware you could talk to people with AIM using iChat. I suppose I will now go and check out that program. Thanks! I thought it was only iChat to iChat.

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
I set up my AIM account in iChat, but does iChat have groups to organize your buddies or does it all just jumble them into one. Also, do they have something equivalent to AIM's away message? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View -> Use Groups

Below your name in the iChat window where it says Available, click that and you can do away messages in there

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
Great, thanks for all the help, so it looks like I've officially changed over and am using iChat now. I love it. However, all my friends using AIM now say my font is HUGE to them. It is normal on my screen, just like about a 10 font, but they say it is huge... not sure what that is all about. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.