backing up iPhoto Library on an external drive

klv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro | 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2 GB DDR2 | OS X 10.6.3
Hi,

My drive is around 70% of its capacity. I've been backing up some stuff on a seagate external drive (1TB) and everything seemed to work fine until I tried to backup my iPhoto library. The file is 25 GB, when I try to copy it to my drive, it starts going extremely slow and eventually it stops. It has never gone beyond 1 GB. Does anyone have any idea why?

I'm using NTFS.

Any advice will be really appreciated even on a different way to backup my photos. I'm using OS X 10.5 so far. Once I backup everything I want to upgrade to Leopard. I just dont want to do it without backing up all my info.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Put all the stuff back onto your mac, then format the seagate drive into Mac OS Extended. Then re-backup everything.

- Simon

Reaction score
Yea Mac OS Extended should fix that problem. The iPhoto library is a pretty simple thing. I've moved the Photos folder and backed it up multiple times across several computers without issue.

You might try any of the fixes from within iPhoto. Maybe the photo associations are screwed up?

OP
K

klv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I don't have enough space to bring everything back because I already had some info in that disk. I think I'm going to need to buy another one to do that. Let's see how it goes.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Any time

- Simon

OP
K

klv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked perfectly! I bought a thoshiba canvio. I don't know if the disk is faster or just by formatting Mac OS Extended is makes things a lot better.

Now I just have another question.

When formatting the disk, I got the question if I wanted to use Time Machine with it. I didn't want to do so because I wanted to use that disk as a backup unit to use with my iMac too. But I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make a partition on the seagate disk (1 TB) with the size of my MacBook (200 GB) to let Time Machine do its thing. Would that be a good idea? Does Time Machine need to be plugged all the time? (that would be an issue since the seagate is USB). Is it a better idea just to buy a 200 GB wireless HD to use it with TM?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can partition the drive if you want.
You can also backup more than 1 Mac on one ext. HD without partitioning it.
It will just create different backup folders for different computers.
ie. (Non Partitioned)
klv's Mabook Pro
klv's iMac
Klv's mum's Macbook
klv's dad's Mac Pro

(Partitioned)
1:
klv's Mabook Pro
klv's iMac
Klv's mum's Macbook
klv's dad's Mac Pro
2:
klv's Carbon Copy Cloner
3:
klv's movies
.....you get the gist of it :)

I have my external partitioned for Time Machine Backups and Bootable Clones. When I visit my mother interstate, I backup her Macbook onto my Time Machine partition as I know how she messes things up quite often, and it is good for me to have a non corrupted backup for her seeing that hers will most likely be corrupted :D

OP
K

klv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll give it a try.

Thanx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.