Can the keyboard damage the screen on a MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I have read some threads were people say that the keyboard can leave marks on the screen and that you should buy one of those microfiber cloths.

Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
No. The screen is glass (in late-model MacBooks). You can't damage it that easily unless you drop it from a good height.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Where'd you read that? Got a link?
Apple wouldn't design their MBs and MBPs in a way to allow the screens to be scratched by the keyboard.
Nonsense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
What it does do with mine, is leave the prints of the finger fat coated keys on the screen.
I always carry it with two hands and it never has anything lying on top but it still happens.
No big deal as it can be easily removed, but still… I wonder if scratching could occur when the MBP is in transfer and under a lot of vibration since the keys do touch the screen.

P1010806.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Yes... older MacBook Pros, PowerBooks, and iBooks were notorious for the keys rubbing the screen and causing marks on the display. Apple's typical response was that this was caused by excessive pressure between the lid and keyboard, like carrying the computer in a backpack or an overly tight laptop bag. They considered the damage accidental damage and not a design flaw. For these older units, I do recommend using a microfiber cloth or something similar between the screen and keyboard. The unibody design and the flat keys give a little more clearance, so the issue has been mostly resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The unibody design and the flat keys give a little more clearance, so the issue has been mostly resolved.

Hasn't been resolved on mine. But I dont really care that much, because it comes off. But, if it did end up causing damage over time, I would upset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I know this is an old thread - but my new mac book air is showing exactly this sort of screen damage caused by the keyboard. I caught it early and it is very minor now, but quite real. I just ordered a thin micro fiber cloth to place over the keyboard when I close the machine. I take very good care of this machine - it is always stored in a sleeve and never squashed in a bag or pack. Not a great design from this perspective imho. Should have a tiny bit more space between the top of the keys and the surface of the keys when closed. Very disappointing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this is an old thread - but my new mac book air is showing exactly this sort of screen damage caused by the keyboard. I caught it early and it is very minor now, but quite real. I just ordered a thin micro fiber cloth to place over the keyboard when I close the machine. I take very good care of this machine - it is always stored in a sleeve and never squashed in a bag or pack. Not a great design from this perspective imho. Should have a tiny bit more space between the top of the keys and the surface of the keys when closed. Very disappointing.

In my experience with older Powerbooks & iBooks...what usually causes this problem (keyboard keys imprinting on the display) is when someone piles too much weight on top of the computer when the display is closed.

For example some books or other heavy items ate piled on top of the computer. Or someone accidentally sits on the computer, or the computer is in a computer bag or backpack...and gets sat on.

But generally speaking...this happens when heavy items are stacked on top of the computer for an extended period of time...which can cause parts to flex...resulting in contact/pressure between the keyboard & the display surface.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
This is a new MBA - not an older computer

Not sure how to quantify the amount of weight involved. But I assure you - my use has been gentle. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. I am aware of this sort of thing and I am careful. In my view if damage occurs with the sort of use I have put this computer to then it is a design flaw. Just one man's opinion. I will be using a microfiber cloth from now on and I will be obsessive about making sure no pressure whatsoever is placed on computer when it is closed. This is a very fragile little design on this particular score. Pretty? Yes for sure. Durable? Nope. Don't get me wrong - I love the thing and I would buy another in a heart beat (in fact I bought another for my wife last week).

I know you are correct though - the damage was caused by weight applied to the top. Where we differ is when you use the term "too much". I wonder if apple did any testing and if so how much weight is within tolerances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a new MBA - not an older computer

double post - sorry

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how to quantify the amount of weight involved. But I assure you - my use has been gentle. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. I am aware of this sort of thing and I am careful. In my view if damage occurs with the sort of use I have put this computer to then it is a design flaw. Just one man's opinion. I will be using a microfiber cloth from now on and I will be obsessive about making sure no pressure whatsoever is placed on computer when it is closed. This is a very fragile little design on this particular score. Pretty? Yes for sure. Durable? Nope. Don't get me wrong - I love the thing and I would buy another in a heart beat (in fact I bought another for my wife last week).

Personally...I NEVER place anything on top of my laptop computers...just to be safe.

The MacBook Airs are very thin (which is the way Apple has designed them)...and maybe the clearance between the keyboard & display is tighter.

Another possibility is...maybe some weight was put on the display while traveling (maybe not a lot)...say in the car. Maybe this caused some contact between the keyboard & display...and the vibrations that are experienced while driving in a car (MANY small & large bumps) caused some rubbing between the keys & display...thus causing the issue/damage.

The weight I'm saying may not normally have been enough if the computer was "static" at home...but maybe vibrations in a car while commuting was an extra factor.

Also...I don't think that I've heard anyone else mention this issue...ever with a newer MacBook Pro or MacBook Air (the newer MacBook Pro's have a layer of glass covering the display). So it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever. Maybe I'm the only one! In my own defense I will say that I have been using laptops almost exclusively for about 15 - 20 years and never once had a problem like this.

It is the kind of thing you would not notice unless you look very closely while the screen is turned off and clean. Little tiny pin head dots.

Interesting though that the pro is now glass - but not the air. Mine is an air.
I'll be very very careful from now on.

Tell me, what is the safe way to carry it in the car? I tend to place it in a neoprene sleeve and set it on the back seat all by itself.

I think you are right you can never put ANYTHING on top of your closed MBA laptop without risking damage. And never put it in your brief case in a sleeve with a client file in the same brief case because you are looking for trouble. Come to think of it I have done that on a couple of occasions. Maybe that did it. There is a tendency to think of it as a file folder of sorts that can be put in a case and then in a brief case with other file folders - but it is not durable enough for that sort of thing. Yes I bet this is exactly what happened. MBA in neoprene sleeve, placed in brief case with perhaps three half inch thick files. Maybe I set it down upside down rather than on edge and the three 1/2 inch file folders caused it.

I do think folks should be aware that damage can occur even when you are very careful - so beware! Not everyone is as careful as you are Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
If you are still in your 14 day money back guarantee i would just send it back, i had an issue with my macbook pro running hot sent it back got a refund and ordered another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Had it for several months.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What it does do with mine, is leave the prints of the finger fat coated keys on the screen.
I always carry it with two hands and it never has anything lying on top but it still happens.
No big deal as it can be easily removed, but still… I wonder if scratching could occur when the MBP is in transfer and under a lot of vibration since the keys do touch the screen.

Holy super-huge image, Batman!

I went ahead and resized that for you.

If you attach an image, make sure you resize it down to about 800x600 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
Nope. Had it for several months.

Only thing i can think of is that thin foam sheet that you get with your mac that lays between the screen and keyboard, if you still have it you could use it to stop the keys contacting the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue is indeed wide spread

Do a google search for "macbook air screen fragile". It is indeed a widespread problem and Apple, like almost all mega sized organizations sadly, always gives the poor customers who have done nothing unusual to damage their MBA the same response that the item is not defective it has been misused. So Apple's stats will characterize every example as "misuse". But the truth, imho, is that the design is too light and lacks the durability required and expected by a reasonable consumer for ordinary use. Ordinary use is not misuse. Apple will NEVER acknowledge that this is the case because it would cost them too much money and result in bad publicity. One would think they would at least warn purchasers that this computer requires special care to avoid damage to the screen.

Again, I like the computer and I will buy another - just did in fact. But you have to take great care to be sure the screen is not damaged. If you do that - you're good to go. I just wish that Apple had warned me about it.

Lastly, there are companies that make and sell microfiber cloths fit to the various apple laptops (and external displays). See RadTech - Solutions For Your Digital Lifestyle for one example. Silly pricing but I just bought a couple.

Anyone know of a nice hard shell case that would prevent a few file folders from damaging the screen in a briefcase? I might do that as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do a google search for "macbook air screen fragile". It is indeed a widespread problem...

Whenever doing an internet search for problems & their frequency of occurrence...you always have to be VERY careful how the information is interpreted.

Just because 10, 20, or 30 instances of a problem can be found on the internet...doesn't mean that it's a widespread problem. Those 10-30 similar problems could represent only .01% of all people who bought that model computer...and how do we know that those 10-30 people didn't actually abuse their computers in someway??

In other words...10-30 people may have a similar problem...but 100,000-200,000 may have had no problems whatsoever.

Basically like I mentioned before...if this was a widespread problem with the MacBook Air's...we would see MANY more posts about it here at Mac-Forums...and we just don't.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe your're right. I doubt it based on my own experience.

My advice to people. Buy the Air - it is a great little computer. Very cool machine. But, be real careful to protect your Air, some folks have had personal experiences that lead them to believe the Air is more fragile than the typical laptop and it only stands to reason given that it is on the technological edge of lightweight engineering. Don't ever squash it in a brief case or back pack even if it is in a case. Don't ever put anything on top of it. Use a good case. Use a microfiber or similar cloth to protect screen when closed. Be aware that the screen will physically touch the key board when closed if there is even a small amount of pressure applied and that can damage the screen. Treat it like it is more fragile than most other laptops and it will be a great computer for you and last a long long time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe your're right. I doubt it based on my own experience.

I'm sure there are folks that have experienced this problem...I'm just saying that I don't think that it's widespread.

We get a "lot of traffic" here at Mac-Forums...and if something is a widespread problem...we would know it...based on the amount of folks posting threads about it.

Before the OP in this thread...I cannot recall (from memory) another recent thread where a member had an issue with the keyboard imprinting on the display of a MacBook Air.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.