Can the keyboard damage the screen on a MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Keys Contact MBP Screen

I can add to the database here as I have a new (mid-2012) MacBook Pro purchased less than a month ago. To address the usual comments on this issue that I've seen in this thread, I will note that this computer has absolutely *never* had anything at all placed on top of it, nor has it even left my house yet in a computer bag. I've been verifying its operation and performance and I've been keeping it in pristine condition for a possible return. So I was disappointed to see little square marks on the glass in front of the screen... they are from the keyboard, of course. To those of you who are saying that Apple has addressed an old problem by allowing for more space between the keys and the screen... well, they may have allowed more space and, certainly, there is no damage on my MBP, but the keys absolutely *do* contact the glass in front of the display. It is annoying to me to have to clean it for this reason. And I will add to another poster's comments that I have had laptops for over 10 years and I've never had this type of issue before. Will the screen be damaged? Not likely (from this issue). Is it a poor design (especially given past issues in this area) by Apple, absolutely, in my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.