VMWare - Operation on file "dev/rdiskOs3" failed

Reaction score
VMWare Fusion 3 appears to age poorly. After 18 months of use the nasty drop-down 'Operation on file "/dev/rdiskOs3" failed' appears. Repeatedly. Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6.6 seems to react adversely at the same time with loss of mouse functionality, etc. Even have difficulty closing the Mac. Power off is sometimes only option. Allowed everything to rest quietly overnight. Mac OS booted well but had several iterations of the 'Operation on file "/dev/rdiskOs3" failed' in VMWare. "Continue" selected twice and Windows XP Pro finally opened but with initial sluggish cursor performance. If memory serves, I had a similar problem with Parallels. Appears to be related to length of time computer and virtualization is allowed to be running.

I am not alone with this problem. VMWare or Mac OS, or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The length of time running the VM has nothing to do with it getting corrupted which is probably what happened to yours. The important question is did you make a backup of your VM using the Fusion snapshot option or do you have a good backup with Time Machine?

If restoring from backup won't help, you'll have to erase the VM and start over.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your rapid response. I do indeed have Time Machine operating. I will try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.