Weird Internet Connection Problem

Reaction score
Hi, here's the specs: Power G5 dual 1.8, cable internet @ 20Mbps, D-Link wired router, Firefox 3.6.13.

My problem is strange. When I first get on the internet, regardless of time of day or which sites I visit, everything's fine. Connection is super fast. But then, always around the third or fourth link I click or webpage I visit, everything stops. Can't load anything, or it's so slow that it might as well be dead. This problem generally lasts for no more than 5-10 minutes. I deal with it by walking away and doing something else for a few minutes, then I come back and try again, and bam--everything's back to normal.

As I said, totally unrelated to time of day or selection of websites. Rebooting modem and/or router may or may not have an effect on the issue, it's hard to tell since it never lasts long. What the heck is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try using open DNS to replace your ISPs DNS service (back-up your ISPs numbers first)

Test out open DNS, and if that cures it then OK, if not it's at least not a DNS problem

OPen DNS servers are

Reaction score
When you try sites and it is slow - are they sites you have visted before or completely new ones?
Is there another laptop you can try with?

Just trying to work out if it is infact your network connection - or something on your computer - browser cache - disk space - virus - etc.
Maybe try a different browser to rule out that.

If it is the network - and not a DNS issue as mentioned above - are there any other devices on the network - conflicting Ip address for example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I had some issues similar to that a couple months back. I found that if I moved Flash out of my Plug-ins folder, pages loaded much more quickly. If that works, you might need to do a seek-and-destroy for flash and install the latest version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.