missing hard drive space no snow leopard disk

Reaction score
25gig just disappeared from my Startup disk partition after using Submerge to render some subtitles. I used omnidisksweeper to find where it all went and voila it was all in the var folder. I've tried clearing the cache with Onyx, restarting won't clear it, I've repaired the disk permissions, and Onyx says that I need to repair my disk but I have no Snow Leopard disk to repair my disk with.

What can I do? It's a 2009 model macbook running Snow Leopard and I have two partitions - Macintosh HD and DATA. Macintosh HD is my startup disk with a capacity of 50gb and DATA 200gb. Macintosh HD is slowly eating space even now and currently has 855mb left. **** you Submerge....

I have a Leopard disk though (can i use that? o_O)... and my bros also have macbooks if you wanted to know... Can I just delete the offending file(s) from the var folder and not the entire folder? The DATA drive does not appear on the menu on Startup disks. I've checked Activity Monitor and nothing looks suspicious. Google Chrome (The only application I'm using right now other than Finder and Activity Monitor) is using up the most CPU on average :/. Nothing explains why my disk is still eating itself..

I think I've said all the information I can think of right now. Help me quick plz... :(

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using applejack but I'm scared that it might screw something up. Can anyone confirm that it is safe to use on Snow Leopard? And if I can use the Leopard disk, will it be safer? I have no antivirus software installed btw....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes Applejack 1.6 is safe to use with now Leopard but a far better suggestion is buy your own copy of Snow Leopard from Apple online for US$29.00. AJ will not remove Submerge and get your free space back alas. Best troubleshooting utility there is and one wonders how you installed SL without the disc?

Sounds like you may well be up for a format and clean install when you get the disc.

Also Bob by chance are you using antivirus software as this does cause havoc with submerge? Do a Google.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yay finally a reply :) I have snow leopard installed because my school installed it on all the new laptops but never gave us the disc soooo... yeah. and I can't just ask the school to fix it since its the holidays.

No I am not using any Antivirus software. The last one I used was ClamAV and that was over a year ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ran applejack. It says everything was successful. There is still 900+mb only remaining on my hard drive. So, I took a peek at the var folder and found a tmp folder thats 21.7 gig and filled with movie files. Is it safe to delete? I know that its supposed to clear itself after restart but its not.... :/

Gonna run applejack again after this and delete the safe sleep image. that should free at least 2gig. It's safe right? Applejack is asking if i want to delete it. I've googled around and from what i read, the OS will just create a new one after?

OP
M
Reaction score
Meh it didn't do anything... :/ Can I just delete the tmp movie files? Plz someone reply.

I can't do much on my computer with it always saying you are running out of disk space and forcing me to close some apps, let alone how slow it has become.

OP
M
Reaction score
People at macrumors and apple discussions said to individually delete the files so I did. It worked :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you did not want the movie files sure just trash them and then empty the trash. If you are into movies you may well be better off looking at an external HDD to store them, music, photos etc on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.