Problem deleting cookies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I delete cookies from my Safari browser. Then when I visit another site ALL the same cookies come back. I know they are the same cookies as they are in the exact order they were before I deleted them. There are a gazillion cookies and I think that is why my computer is running slow
What is causing this? And how can I correct it?
I run Intego Virus Barrier and Net barrier and both are up to date

I have an iMac and not a lot of computer skills
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Start of by going to the safari menu and resetting safari.
Then, uninstalling your anti virus software, and if you are connected to a network with Windows systems, installing anti virus software on those instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A second vote for uninstalling your AV software. It will bloat and slow your machine. There are no Mac OS X viruses and all you are paying to download are Windows virus definitions.

Reaction score
Go into Safari preferences, click on Security, and check "Only from sites I visit" under cookies.
Or "Never" depending on your needs.
Also third vote on getting rid of AV software. You don't need it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your suggestions, how ever it is still a problem

I reset Safari .
I renewed my anti virus on line so I am not sure how to reinstall it . I only have the original disk. Where can I find directions to do this?
I do not have any Windows applications

I have always had my preference set to " only accept cookies from sites I visit-third parties blocked" Yet I can see I am getting third party cookies.

I just manually cleared cookies and then went to the CNN site
It set 8 cookies including one that says ads.cnn

This Mac forum set 11 cookies including: ID stack; bblastactivity; bblastvisit bbsessionhash and scorecard research

I also have Safari set to block pop-ups and I still get a few of those too.

Any other ideas as to why this is happening?
Thanks

M

MacInWin

Don't REINSTALL the AV software, UNINSTALL it. You don't need or want it. It doesn't matter whether or not you have Windows applications, the only viruses your AV software will prevent are Windows viruses. There are no OSX viruses you can get. So your AV software is protecting you from something you cannot get. And it's taking up resources. Uninstall it.

Cookies are a fact of life. Every site sends them to you and they are almost impossible to get along without on some, if not all, sites. And not all cookies set have the same name as the site, as the ads on the site might set them, or the base page sent them on behalf of the advertisers. In my experience, cookies are more nuisance than threat. I ignore them. Don't be too paranoid over them.

Pop-up makers are more sophisticated and get past more and more blocking algorithms. Again, I just live with them and avoid the sites that host the most annoying ones. I use a flash blocker with Firefox that stops some of them, so you can consider that if they really bug you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
The reason I have an anti- virus program is that I took a class on Mac Basic's and the instructor told us that although a Mac won't pick up a virus ( at that time) a Windows virus can sit dormant on your computer and be passed on to another Windows user. He was not an Apple employee just a professional instructor they hired to conduct the class. I had to buy the AV on line.

Perhaps I am making too much of all of these cookies. I am just so careful with computers

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I am just so careful with computers

That, my dear, is another rationale for getting rid of your anti-virus software! Windows users should have their own AV to catch that stuff. It's not your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 2 GHz Core2Duo Intel, 10.6.6, 2GB RAM
Thanks,
The reason I have an anti- virus program is that I took a class on Mac Basic's and the instructor told us that although a Mac won't pick up a virus ( at that time) a Windows virus can sit dormant on your computer and be passed on to another Windows user. He was not an Apple employee just a professional instructor they hired to conduct the class. I had to buy the AV on line.

Perhaps I am making too much of all of these cookies. I am just so careful with computers

Thanks

As long as you have third party cookies denied, you're OK. Some cookies are required - site logins, etc, so you don't want to disable those. If you must have AV software, get ClamXav. It's non-invasive and free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh what is the point?

IT teachers are invariably Windows instructors have learned a smattering of Mac basics but cannot overcome their fear of viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.