Late 2007 Macbook Problem booting from Snow Leopard 10.6.3 pt.2

Reaction score
Not important part... but a story!

So my mother in-law is a recently retired school teacher. As a gift my Wife and I decided to pick her out a used (new to her) macbook. When we received the macbook it was littered with useless programs so I decided to perform a clean install of the os.

What happened...
I booted the 2007 macbook with my install dvd from my 2008(I believe) aluminum macbook. It seemed to be working fine so I proceeded to reformat the hdd. Rebooted. Then realized it wouldn't work with that cd. I ended up buying a retail family version of snow leopard. After many attempts, trying different ways of booting all I can get is a folder icon in the middle of the screen flashing with a ? , sometimes I even get just a white screen with a cursor, always just spitting out the dvd.

I have tried the dvd in my macbook and booting from it works aswell as just loading it up. so there isn't a problem with the actual disc. The 2007 macbook loads up and boots from the 2008 install dvd but won't with the snow leopard dvd.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I have been looking for 6 hours now and I've had no luck. PLEASE save me from this headache of a good deed.

*EDIT* Well, I lost a few hours of sleep over this. Nothing seems to be working that I can find. There must be someone out there who has seen this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try booting from the SL DVD by holding down 'C' immediately after the chime and format the hard drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) If this will not work try booting from Leopard, format that way and try the SL disc again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.