new macbook air or new imac

Reaction score
Which would be a better purchase down the road. In terms of longevity and price. I like a large screen and portability is not an issue. Which machine is the best bang for the buck? I meant mac mini

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Which would be a better purchase down the road. In terms of longevity and price. I like a large screen and portability is not an issue. Which machine is the best bang for the buck? I meant mac mini

So what are the choices between a Mac-Mini & an iMac?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
To me, it sounds like you're clearly in the market for a desktop, which would eliminate the Air option.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Don't see there's a real problem here. You like a big screen, you don't need portability. Mac Air out.

The iMac offers far more than the Mac Mini bearing in mind that you to purchase a monitor and accessories if you go down the Mini route; and the iMac has much better specs.

You don't say what your main usage and needs would be and that could alter things, but for me the iMac wins hands down.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I prefer separate components to an "all-in-one". Monitors are relatively cheap, unless you have to have a high-end model. I've had my Mini for over three years, and not one hardware issue. :knockonwood:

OP
E
Reaction score
sorry for the delay, I already have a monitor lying around. And I will be using it for basic stuff surfing watching media and stuff. I really like the mac mini's size and I already have a 20' Imac alum/glass. My question might be confusing I meant to query about the new mac mini vs the base macbook air. Again I won't be using it for anything demanding. And the price point is sweet for the mac mini. Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
MacBook Air if it's going to be a secondary computer. Hands-down.

OP
E
Reaction score
Good suggest. But it's missing an optical drive which the mac mini has and $300 price diff, thanks but I need a more compelling/jaw dropping reason to choose it. And the mini has a way bigger harddrive and more ram I believe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.