Problems with MacBook pro when plugged into external display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
Hello I've had my MacBook pro 13 inch since September last year and it's been great except I've had this problem when I plug it into an external display. I have a 23 inch lg monitor which I plug it into through dvi. The monitor is only a few months old. And if I take the resolution any higher than 768 I get a red haze of pixels all over the screen. At 1080 it's unusable but at the same time this obscure resolution which is the highest that works is pointless cause it's lower than the MacBooks own LCD and streached across a bigger screen. The dvi cables I've used I have used with other machines on the same monitor and are fine and I have bought two separate mini display port adaptive to no avail. I dunno weather it's the graphics chip that's gone or wither it's just something I gotta put up with. Anyone had a problem like this before ? Also the monitor works great when plugged into my ps3 also at 1080 p so obedience been really unlucky and had 2 dodgy adapters or sommet else is up. Cheers in advance for anyone who can help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 4,1 C2D 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / 250 HDD
Have you tried the color calibration in both the monitor and the MacBook? I have an LG 23inch HDTV/Monitor that also supports 1080p. Check system Preferences -> screens with your monitor connected and see if choosing a different color scheme solves your issue. Or you can also calibrate it from the same place.

I hope this helps you.

OP
Djroonsteruk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 17 inch 2.9 c2d with anti glare display, 8 gb of ram and 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work the colour mode changed but the red fuzzyness is still there :(. calibrating did nothing either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see. Since you said you've bought two adapters already, I'm starting to believe that it could be a problem with the port itself. Have you tired it in another monitor?

Reaction score
I really want to say I can help u. Something in the old noodle is telling me I have had this problem before and then fixed it. Just can't remember. When u say red haze does that mean you can see everything but it just has a red um "haze". In the setting on the MacBook you can put a black border around the monitor have u done this? If not I would give that a try probably won't fix your problem but makes resolutions easier to work with. I'm gonna keep thinking and go through some of my notes I have taken down from this forum. Btw. You have come to the right place this forum is the best out there.

OP
Djroonsteruk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried the black boarder thing that didn't do it either. and yeah its just like a haze. The best way i can describe it is it's like red snow on the screen over the top of the image :(. its really anoying because i have to use a really low resolution to make it go away when i have two windows laptops which both run at 1080 thought the same setup. and the fact that changing the resolution gets rid of it would lead me to believe that the adapter isnt at fault either. i would be really greatfull if anyone can find a solution:). if not i've got a genius bar appointment at my local apple shop for them to have a look at it and see what they say. in my experience on windows machines this is something that can happen from a failed graphics chip but this surely cant be the case here its only 3-4 months old. i dunno if anyone has done this before but does anyone know that if the macbook pro is faulty, rather than get it repaired under warranty or replaced watever. Do you reckon they would give me credit against a new one cause i am fancying going for a 17 inch one. have apple been known to do anything like that before ? And youre right this is the best i've had a post up on apple support forum for days now and not had a single reply!!!

OP
Djroonsteruk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
grrrrr Thought it had fixed itself then. I went downstairs and plugged it into my dads monitors to try it out and at highest resolution (1050 on his oldschool 4:3 24" :p) and it worked a treat. tried it on the two other monitors in the office fine. Walked back to my room plugged it in. (with a 5th new dvi cable!!!) It was maraculously fine. for all of 10 mins then i moved it slightly forwards on desk. monitor went black and then came back on again with the haze again !!!!!!! its unbelievable. and you could say the ports broken/worn but i barely use it and have had this problem from day 1 of using it with an external monitor ARRGGHHH!!!

and predicably as allways as soon as you turn the res down it goes again :s.

and surely a port which is supplying video shouldn't be as easily disturbed as that should it ? i litrally moved it an inch accross the desk cause the front was hanging off the edge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I would go make an appointment with a Genius to check the issue. And you're lucky you have those, where I live there aren't. It does sound to me like a faulty port/graphics chip.

OP
Djroonsteruk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YouTube - VIDEO0006

thats a video best showing the problem. its only on my phone camera so it cant deal with the shift in dark and light on the screen very well but you can still see the haze appear when i change the resolution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see the red haze. You should go see a Genius then. I'm leaning more towards the faulty graphics chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.