Keyboard stops working on iMac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with my keyboard that stops working for no reason, but if I unplug it and replug it in, it will start again, or if I put the mac to sleep and wake it up again, it works again also.

I have the first intel iMac 17" with the original keyboard and mouse.

I read a few older threads of others with the same problem, but I didn't see if it was a problem at the OS level, or hardware, or what the resolution is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's been several firmware updates for Apple keyboards. I'm not sure which ones exactly (mine was updated) but other than a firmware update for the keyboard, you may need to replace it. A full sized wired keyboard is only $49 and the folks at OWC sell used ones for as low as $21.99.

OP
N
Reaction score
There's been several firmware updates for Apple keyboards. I'm not sure which ones exactly (mine was updated) but other than a firmware update for the keyboard, you may need to replace it. A full sized wired keyboard is only $49 and the folks at OWC sell used ones for as low as $21.99.

Thanks, but this one is a wired keyboard. I don't think there is a firmware for it (or is there ?)

I should also mention my Mac is running v10.6.6

Does anyone know where USB events get logged ? I tried looking in the console, but didn't find anything there. I'm wondering if there isn't something happening at the USB level.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you run a hardware test (First Aid) using Disk Utility (preferably after booting from and using your Installation disk)?

I'd also recommend running OnyX Titanium's Software • Download to give the OS a tune-up.

Thirdly, simply to cover options, change the USB port that the k/board is plugged into, ie. swap the peripherals around.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since yours is the first Intel iMac 17" it came with the White plastic keyboard. I don't ever remember an update for that keyboard. There was a couple for the Full Sized wired Aluminum keyboard but not the plastic one.

Do you have another keyboard you could test the iMac with? It could be the keyboard itself, but do try what Hugh suggested.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have run the repair permissions, and do so on a regular basis. I have noticed something though, I can run it, and it will report fixing a bunch of files, and I can then re-run it right afterwards, and some of the files listed in the first run, get listed again. Don't understand why that would be.

I have tried changing the USB port the keyboard is connected on, and it hasn't helped. I don't have another USB keyboard to try, but I'll try to borrow one from the my office.

I hope it isn't the keyboard, I really like the this one vs. the new ones Apple is selling.

(Also, I will give OnyX a try)

Thanks for the info !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have run the repair permissions <...> I have tried changing the USB port the keyboard is connected on.

You don't mention running the hardware check, and as this appears to be more that than OS files causing the problem, at least for now, I'd strongly recommend doing the First Aid > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

However, you can only carry out that last step if you boot your iMac from its original Install/Restore disk.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, I've managed to borrow a USB keyboard (a HP), so I'll be testing with that. So far, its working fine. I miss the mac keyboard though, it has a really nice tactile feel. Wish they still made them with the traditional style keys.

OP
N
Reaction score
It's official, my original mac keyboard is the problem. Probably better that than the iMac. Now, I wonder if I can fix it....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I told you in my first reply, a full wired Apple aluminum keyboard is $49 at Best Buy or your local Apple store. Just replace it.

Reaction score
It's official, my original mac keyboard is the problem. Probably better that than the iMac. Now, I wonder if I can fix it....

They really aren't made to be repairable, and in any case you can purchase a brand new one for a lot less than the cost to have your old one fixed.

Like yourself, I'm hooked on Apple's white keyboard with the full-size keys. It is known by several model numbers:
M9034LL/A, A1048, MTM0613, 658-0306 or M9034
and you can get one for only $17 from:

Apple PRO WHITE KEYBOARD /M9034

(They're $60 on Amazon: Amazon.com: Apple G3, G4, G5 109-Key White USB (Version 2) Keyboard (p/n 1003199): Electronics)

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Randy:

Those keyboards you linked to..... According to the ads, they're for the Apple G3, G4, and G5. The OP has an Intel iMac 17". I would think that he needs the original or as I advised him, the Apple $49 aluminum wired keyboard.

Reaction score
@Randy:

Those keyboards you linked to..... According to the ads, they're for the Apple G3, G4, and G5. The OP has an Intel iMac 17". I would think that he needs the original or as I advised him, the Apple $49 aluminum wired keyboard.

No, it's the same Apple part number for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

I'm using one of those keyboards, purchased from that source, right this second with a white Intel-based 24-inch iMac. It is identical to the keyboard it replaced, and works perfectly.

Randy B. Singer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks. I may have to try one myself if the keys are larger than my aluminum model. Also, as the photos don't show it very well, does it have USB ports?

Reaction score
OK thanks. I may have to try one myself if the keys are larger than my aluminum model.

Oy. I was reticent to tell folks about that source for those keyboards because they are getting rare, and expensive when you can find them. It was sort of my secret stash. :D

Also, as the photos don't show it very well, does it have USB ports?

Yes, two in the back, on either side of the cord.

Randy B. Singer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again. I'm going to order the one for $17.00 - will let the folks know if it works better than my Aluminum model. The reason I need a second keyboard is so that I can overlay the keys with Korean symbols for use in our business. The on screen Korean keyboard takes up too much space.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm going to order the one for $17.00 - will let the folks know if it works better than my Aluminum model. The reason I need a second keyboard is so that I can overlay the keys with Korean symbols for use in our business. The on screen Korean keyboard takes up too much space.

Just be aware that this is a big full-size traditional-style keyboard, not a low-profile thing with short key throws like your aluminum keyboard. Users who tend to like one, tend to hate the other...

Randy B. Singer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand. Having loved those old iron monster IBM "clik clak" keyboards with the big noisy keys, the white keyboard is exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyway it looks like we have one less source to choose from. Read the PM I sent you this morning.

Reaction score
Anyway it looks like we have one less source to choose from. Read the PM I sent you this morning.

Darn economy! Some of my favorite suppliers are falling like flies.

Here is a white keyboard for $50:
Apple Keyboard M9034LL/A with White Keys

Even at $50 that keyboard is a bargain, IMHO.

I understand. Having loved those old iron monster IBM "clik clak" keyboards with the big noisy keys, the white keyboard is exactly what I'm looking for.

You can still get those!

IBM sold the license to make those keyboards to Lexmark and they in turn sold the license to Unicomp.

Unicomp buckling spring keyboards can be purchased directly from Unicomp:
Unicomp Keyboards
SpaceSaver 104/105
($79)

Unicomp can provide Macintosh keycap replacements so that once you remap a few keys via software, you have a Macintosh keyboard with the old IBM feel.

Randy B. Singer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.