Sending texts to mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Buuump?
Anyone have any solutions to this? I know it's quite easy to do using messenger in windows so there must be something that works well, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I've tried several different ways of doing this. I use Adium and for some reason I get an error every time I try that. same thing with trying to do it over google talk through Adium. I tried Skype and that wont work for some reason. what do you guys use to accomplish this? any help you can give me? I have a MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) Specs (Late 2009, MC207LL/A, MacBook6,1, A1342, 2350*) @ EveryMac.com with the latest version of both Adium and skype.
Thanks guys!

i use thunderbird and you need to find the list of cellular providers email's for texting such as [email protected] the only thing is you need to know the person's cellular provider but this does work quite well

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Um I can send messages from adium to phone but you need to do it through AIM and you need to do "+1" area code, and then the actual phone number.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um I can send messages from adium to phone but you need to do it through AIM and you need to do "+1" area code, and then the actual phone number.

So I have to be using an AIM account? Does this work outside of the states?

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I tried with AIM but for some reason I can only send texts, but they cant reply from their phone, because I don't have a phone set up so they don't have a # to reply to. I know there's a solution somewhere out there.....

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump again? I've asked on the adium forums and looked around as best I can but I've gotten little response. please help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Where are you and where are you trying to send the text? Within the States AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Google Voice are among the many ways you can send text to phones. If you are trying to go international then you will probably have issues.

Reaction score
What phone do you use? You can get programmes which send texts from your computer through your mobile phone and then to the recipient.

For an iPhone I use either SMS Sender (available on the Mac App Store) or myPhoneDesktop (type it in google).

If you use a Nokia use PhoneDirector (Mac App Store). If you use a Sony Ericsson there is PhoneAgent (Mac App Store).

Try searching google with the brand of your phone to see what comes up.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are you and where are you trying to send the text? Within the States AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Google Voice are among the many ways you can send text to phones. If you are trying to go international then you will probably have issues.

Hey I'm in Canada trying to send within the country. I know it works on windows with Messenger though so why should it be a problem now?

What phone do you use? You can get programmes which send texts from your computer through your mobile phone and then to the recipient.

For an iPhone I use either SMS Sender (available on the Mac App Store) or myPhoneDesktop (type it in google).

If you use a Nokia use PhoneDirector (Mac App Store). If you use a Sony Ericsson there is PhoneAgent (Mac App Store).

Try searching google with the brand of your phone to see what comes up.

The thing is I'm not trying to text my own phone, it's other peoples phone. Same thing as sending email texts to a phone except done in IM.

Reaction score
The thing is I'm not trying to text my own phone, it's other peoples phone.

The method I was suggesting sends texts to other people's phones through your phone, not to your own phone. Check vids out on youtube of smssender and you'll see what I mean.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The method I was suggesting sends texts to other people's phones through your phone, not to your own phone. Check vids out on youtube of smssender and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah But I don't have my own phone. Is that still possible?

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahhhhhh thanks man that works! Never thought of using yahoo. good stuff.
and sorry I did mean windows messenger. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.