Takes a long time to start up

Reaction score
So, for Christmas I just got the 17" MacBook Pro. Now, all of a sudden, it takes around two minutes for the computer to load. Before it only took around ten seconds. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you fill your desktop up and did you load a bunch of third party apps that load on start-up?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
<robot voice>More information please</robot>

What, if anything, are you loading during startup? How much disk space do you have?

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
No, the only thing ii loaded is sims3. But this didn't start until three weeks after I loaded that. As to disk space. I have almost all of it because I haven't loaded anything except a few files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, something is eating up your startup time. Do this for us....

1. Open System Preferences, Accounts. Highlight your user name and click on Login Items. What does it show?

2. Click on the Finder. Navigate to MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems
Tell us what's listed there.

And, are you running any Anti-Virus software?

Post back.

OP
A
Reaction score
1) it has listed iTunesHelper and SpeechSynthesisServer. The box is checked next to iTunes helper under hide.

2) nothing is located in the startupitems folder.

And I am not running any antivirus software on my computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Go ahead and remove the two login items by highlighting each in turn and pressing the small minus (-) button at the bottom of the dialog. Removing them will not harm your Mac. I suspect the SpeechSynthesisServer may be taking awhile to start or contact. What are you using that for anyway? The iTunesHelper may be slowing your startup also - not sure about that. I have mine turned off.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you! It worked! And actually, I'm not entirely sure how the speech synthesizer got there. Thanks though, much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.