• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

External mic . . .

Reaction score
I want to use an external mic, for a voiceover in an iMovie project. But I don't find that I have the option for an external mic. When I go to System Preferences, and click the Sound option, there is nothing there for an external mic. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do you have the mic, and if so have you plugged it in and to where?

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you have the mic, and if so have you plugged it in and to where?

Yes, but I have the wrong kind of mic. I've have one which plugs into the small audio input in the back of computer. I probably need a USD mic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No you can plug it into the line in/out port on your Mac if it's a 3.5mm jack.
Once plugged in it should show up in preferences.
That applies if you do find you have the wrong Mic, and need to change it.

OP
M
Reaction score
No you can plug it into the line in/out port on your Mac if it's a 3.5mm jack.
Once plugged in it should show up in preferences.
That applies if you do find you have the wrong Mic, and need to change it.
I plugged it in, but it didn't show up. I had but four options for the Input on the Sound panel:

Line in
Digital in
Display Audio
AirPhones Speakers

That's it. Nothing about an external mic. I have OS X 10.6.6?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try selecting the Line In option after you have plugged the Mic into your Mac. That probably won't work. If it doesn't here.'s why:

The port on your Mac is expecting line level voltage which is a bit higher than the mic generates. This is true even thout the connections are the right size. You need a mic preamplifier or something like the Griffin Technologies iMic.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try selecting the Line In option after you have plugged the Mic into your Mac. That probably won't work. If it doesn't here.'s why:

The port on your Mac is expecting line level voltage which is a bit higher than the mic generates. This is true even thout the connections are the right size. You need a mic preamplifier or something like the Griffin Technologies iMic.
I'm getting a USB mic. I hope that will show up.

Thanks for your help . . .

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. The USB mic should work. I've used one several times with my MacBook Pro (2008). the one advantage that I see of using a mixing board or audio interface instead of direct connection is control. I find it easier to make fine adjustment in the inputt level when using a mixer rather than in software.

OP
M
Reaction score
You're welcome. The USB mic should work. I've used one several times with my MacBook Pro (2008). the one advantage that I see of using a mixing board or audio interface instead of direct connection is control. I find it easier to make fine adjustment in the inputt level when using a mixer rather than in software.
How expensive is a mixing board? And what other components would I need?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending upon what you need mixers can be found for as little as $50.00 but van cost hundreds or thousands. I bought either this model or its predecessor from a friend to do some podcasting. Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer I am currently running a Heil Sound PR-40 Microphone through the board. My board plugs into the Line In port on my Mac but there are USB and Firewire interfaces available as well.

I have used a USB mic plugged directly into my MacBook Pro via USB. I don't have the exact model number in hand at the moment but I think it is a variation of this one MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com. I am far from an expert at this. There are many options out there so do some homework before purchasing. Perhaps one of the audio gurus here will chine in with additional information.

OP
M
Reaction score
Depending upon what you need mixers can be found for as little as $50.00 but van cost hundreds or thousands. I bought either this model or its predecessor from a friend to do some podcasting. Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer I am currently running a Heil Sound PR-40 Microphone through the board. My board plugs into the Line In port on my Mac but there are USB and Firewire interfaces available as well.

I have used a USB mic plugged directly into my MacBook Pro via USB. I don't have the exact model number in hand at the moment but I think it is a variation of this one MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com. I am far from an expert at this. There are many options out there so do some homework before purchasing. Perhaps one of the audio gurus here will chine in with additional information.

Thank you for the good advice . . .

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Hope that was helpful.

BTW here is the link to the USB mic I was using without a mixer. MXL 990 USB Powered Condenser Microphone . I liked it quite a lot but found myself having difficulty keeping a consistent distance from the mic. I also found that because of my crowded desk it sometimes picked up noises I did not want in the recording, I think it would have been fine on a boom or in slightly larger stand with a shock mount. I bought the PR 40, mixer and board from a buddy because he gave me one heck of a deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.