Genealogy

Reaction score
All of the best genealogy programs are window based with a few exceptions. Should I partition my drive with bootcamp and download Windows 7 so that I can support "the best" or just select an ok mac based program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I hated Reunion when I trialled it, but I see there is a new version out since then. It's very heavily orientated towards the American market. This may or may not be a problem for you - it was to me! Presently using the free PAF (Personal Ancestry File) software from familysearch.org as it's very simple to use but as you point out it's windows only hence the need for VMs Fusion and Windows.

There is a new boy on the block though - Family Tree Maker for Mac. Looks promising but am waiting to read reviews before considering the jump from PAF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've just discovered another geneaolgy program for the mac which is billed as a mac version of PAF and like PAF is free. Personal Ancestry Writer II, aka PAWriter, can be found here

Download PAW2U for Mac - Genealogy software (formerly PAWriter II). MacUpdate.com

The ReadMe file contains a link to a sample data file so you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the programs capabilities very quickly. In just 15 minutes I've imported my database from PAF and already feel completely at home with this new software.

I'd be very interested to read the views of others here who are searching for a simple mac genealogy program and willing to give this one a trial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.