Swapping a harddrive between two Macbook Pros

Reaction score
Okay, so both me and my brother have the Unibody Macbook Pro, his is the 13" model, and mine is the 15" model, both of which have the exact same internals apart from the screen size etc.

If i swapped the hard-drives, and put my hard drive in his MBP, would it work out of the box? Or would there be misc driver issues?

Thank you.

PS. the reason i'm wanting to swap, is that i'd like a more portable notebook for taking to college for the next month or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
first off most laptop bags are made around the 15" laptop and yes it will work

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
first off most laptop bags are made around the 15" laptop and yes it will work

???? and, uhm, exactly what does laptop bags have to do with the question ????

Do you know what the question was????

For the op:
If both machines are the same generation and have the same CPU and GPU, my guess is that it would be ok. If you have the time, just try one of them before you put the other back together.

Personally, I wouldn't try it until I had a backup in place of both machines. But then, there is not much I do to any of my drives without a backup in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
my theory is that if you want a portable laptop what difference will 2" do
and i was trying to say that most laptop bags are 15" so you are going to have a big bag to carry anyway, so keep the 15"
(this confused me to)

OP
J
Reaction score
???? and, uhm, exactly what does laptop bags have to do with the question ????

Do you know what the question was????

For the op:
If both machines are the same generation and have the same CPU and GPU, my guess is that it would be ok. If you have the time, just try one of them before you put the other back together.

Personally, I wouldn't try it until I had a backup in place of both machines. But then, there is not much I do to any of my drives without a backup in place.

As they are the same generation, both 2.53Ghz, and both have the 9400m GPU, i'll give it a whirl then! I'll keep the backup in mind! Thank you.:)

my theory is that if you want a portable laptop what difference will 2" do
and i was trying to say that most laptop bags are 15" so you are going to have a big bag to carry anyway, so keep the 15"
(this confused me to)

Thats like saying what's the difference between the 11" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook air, the difference is portability. And as far as 'laptop bags' are concerned I have both the 13" and 15" 'Incase' cases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.