• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Newbie having making movie with Imovie

Reaction score
So I've recently been welcomed into the world of Apple after many miserable years in the Microsoft world. I treated myself to a Macbook Pro and LOVE it so far but there is still a lot I'm getting used to.

Now, my 6 year anniversary with my fiance is coming up and we will sadly have to spend it apart as he is in Afghanistan right now. I've been trying to make a video for him, all pictures of us with "our song" playing in the background as well as a bunch of romantic Post Secret cards as that's always been something we've shared as a couple...now my problem is that my photos seem to be too big for the video... when I play the video often our heads are cut off or you can't see the worlds on the post secret cards. I've tired to edit it by "fitting" an image or "cropping" it in Imovie itself but haven't had luck...I've also tried cropping it in Iphoto but for some reason the uncropped original version is what transfers to the Imovie.

I'm sure I've done a HORRIBLE job at explaining my problem but hopefully SOMEONE will understand what I'm trying to say...all I'm doing is dragging the photos directly from Iphoto into the Imovie but I want to WHOLE photo to show up in the video as it looks kind of silly if you just see our chests. If anyone could help me it'd be greatly appreciated. He's been pretty down lately and I'd really like to do this for him. It's tough to give a good gift when you're thousands of miles apart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When you drag the photo to iMovie, check the photo settings. There is a setting called the "Ken Burns" effect. Check that it isn't set to zoom in on the picture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.