Question about back ups (time machine).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Hi, it's me again. Going to buy my first Mac (MBP) this coming Sunday. (It seems oh so far away. Sigh.) I have a question about backing up files and the time machine program.

I also keep my documents, picture, and music folders backed up on an external hard drive. My wife also backs up her files (when/if she remembers :Grimmace: ) to that drive. I plan on buying a different external hard drive to use for back up of the new MBP. A) so that I can format it just for the Mac and B) so my wife doesn't wipe out my back up files. (It's happened. :Not-Amused: )

I know that Mac OS X comes with Time Machine. Does this back up all files or just certain operating system files or will it also back up documents, photos/videos, and music? If I wanted to store some files just on the back up hard drive (ie some movies or music I didn't want to keep on the MBP all the time), could I do that or will it only allow for Time Machine to copy to it? What if I partition the drive? Could I have Time Machine back up to one partition and store files on the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I know that Mac OS X comes with Time Machine. Does this back up all files or just certain operating system files or will it also back up documents, photos/videos, and music?
It backs up everything unless you ask it to exclude items.

If I wanted to store some files just on the back up hard drive (ie some movies or music I didn't want to keep on the MBP all the time), could I do that or will it only allow for Time Machine to copy to it?
Only if you partition it!

What if I partition the drive? Could I have Time Machine back up to one partition and store files on the other?
Yes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I use an external drive as both my Time Machine backup drive and as a drive to permanently keep some files independent from the Time Machine schedule. So yes, you can use one drive to use as a Time Machine backup and as a regular external drive.

Reaction score
You do not have to buy a Mac specific HD, correct? I would like to get a Western Digital 2TB external to Time Machine backup my 3 Macs, would this be ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You do not have to buy a Mac specific HD, correct? I would like to get a Western Digital 2TB external to Time Machine backup my 3 Macs, would this be ok?

-Plug in the external HD.
-Open disk utility.
-Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
-Name it something like time machine backups, and you are good to go :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Thanks for the help. Look for me in the Switchers forum after tomorrow. I'll probably have a lot more questions after I get the Mac home and start playing with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.