Mac Pro (MA356LL/A-R) vs New iMac 27'

Reaction score
Hey all -

First post, I'm debating between buying a new 27 inch iMac, but a deal just came up on a Mac pro, and I'm debating which is the better machine... or even if they are remotely close. I have a feeling the deal window is closing soon though, so the quicker the answer the better. The help is much appreciated! Thanks:

MAC PRO:

• Intel Quad core Xeon 2.66 (2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors)
    [*]4GB Memory
    [*]250GB SATA Hard disk
    [*]512MB ATI Radeon X1900XT DUAL DVI Video (MA631ZA)

IMAC:

• 27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    [*]4GB memory
    [*]1TB hard drive
    [*]8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    [*]ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    [*]Built-in iSight camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz 500GB HD; iPhone 3GS 32GB
Easy... iMac is FAR superior, but then again, is portability a priority?

OP
E
Reaction score
Portability not so much. The price is the motivator. The lowest price for the iMac I've found is like $1450 refurb. This Mac Pro is $899 refurb. I just figured since it was a Mac Pro it'd be closer. I'm not as up to speed with this Mac tech vs PCs. Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well check out the processors. To be a Quad Core they need to by X5355. A lot of folk advertise the Dual Core as quads believing 2 x Duals must make it a Quad Core. Quad Core's commenced with the Mac Pro 2.1 model. Your quoted price is dirt cheap for a Quad Core.

Not a fan of iMacs particularly with their laptop optical drives, non changeable graphics, single internal hard drives and difficulty cracking them, to replace parts.

OP
E
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.