DNS flush on MBPro Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I joined this forum just to ask this question because I couldn't find much info about this anywhere else.

Quite often (sometimes many times a day, sometimes only once every couple days - seems pretty random) I will have a certain web page or host screw up on me, for instance yahoo redirecting to google or some other random page. Or, certain pages randomly become unavailable.

I know about the dscacheutil -flushcache, and if I type this and wait a couple minutes, it goes back to normal. But, with the frequency of this issue, I'm wondering what this problem could indicate and if there is a way to actually fix this instead of just wait for it to happen over and over and over again.

FYI, I am using Firefox, but changing browsers to, say, Safari or Chrome does absolutely nothing. Also, I am wireless, but have never had an issue with any of my wireless windows-based computers with my network.

Thanks in advance for your help!

chip3341

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You might want to change your DNS server(s) and see if that helps. I suggest using either OpenDNS or Google Public DNS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
There's a trojan in the wild called DNSChanger, which reroutes DNS queries through remote servers rather than your ISP's DNS server. I'm not saying that's the issue, but it never hurts to check. You can download a tool to check for and, if found, eliminate it here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.