MacBook might break chargers?

Reaction score
Hi! I have a MacBook which is about 2 1/2 years old, it works relatively well, apart from an accident it had (my sister bumped it on the side and there's a crack in the display which doesn't affect use too much, and the top of the screen doesn't display things very well). This has never been a serious issue.

Recently, my charger stopped working, it started making weird noises. So I had to get a new one. Now (3 days later), the new charger does not charge either. I tried it with a friend's mac, so the charger doesn't work on it either. Also, his charger works on my mac, but it seems to get really hot! So I'm wondering, is it possible that for some reason my mac breaks the chargers by letting them get too hot?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What kind of a charger did you buy? Was it a genuine Apple charger or a substitute? It's difficult to know at this point whether the charger you bought is any good or perhaps there are other problems. If your friend's charger works OK but is getting hot, there may be a fault with your machine's DC input board.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, the charger was a genuine Apple one. And if there's a fault with the DC input board, can that be repaired? Would it cost a lot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.