XBMC now available for Apple TV 2 and other iOS devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Last night the developers released XBMC for the Apple TV 2. I have used it extensively both last night and this morning and can say that it retains almost all of the features of its x86 brother. Since they developed XBMC for the Apple TV 2, the developers also released it for the iPad and the iPhone 4 (as long as your device is jailbroken). I must say, this really opens up the Apple TV 2 in my opinion, and it's what I have been waiting for since I got it.

XBMC comes to the new Apple TV, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Sweet. Gotta check if boxee is coming to ATV2 as well. I doubt it...

Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Meh. I got an ATV2 last weekend, and I'm not seeing a real need to add in Plex or XBMC. Apple's software is really much better at streaming than Plex/XBMC are. If you use the ATV2 presets in Handbrake to make your videos compatible (or MKVTools to simply remux if the original video is compatible), and use iDentify to add in the metadata, you'll be set.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Meh. I got an ATV2 last weekend, and I'm not seeing a real need to add in Plex or XBMC. Apple's software is really much better at streaming than Plex/XBMC are. If you use the ATV2 presets in Handbrake to make your videos compatible (or MKVTools to simply remux if the original video is compatible), and use iDentify to add in the metadata, you'll be set.

Wow! I have been re-encoding everything using Handbrake and entering all the data myself using info from thetvdb. Thanks for the the info on MKVTools and iDentify. I'd much rather remux than convert if I can, and iDentify should save me a lot of time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! I have been re-encoding everything using Handbrake and entering all the data myself using info from thetvdb. Thanks for the the info on MKVTools and iDentify. I'd much rather remux than convert if I can, and iDentify should save me a lot of time. :)

Yup! Those are two great tools. It was totally worth the 5 bucks to register MKVtools to allow for batch processing. The one downside I should mention to iDentify is that it doesn't allow for re-sorting by "DVD Order" if the shows were aired out of order. Getting my Firefly rips in order was a bit of a nuisance. The developer is re-writing iDentify and plans to add that in.

One other good metadata tool is MetaX. It's better for making manual changes. It came in handy when fixing the numbering for Firefly after running that through iDentify.

Need any other tips, just holler. Between the original ATV, a Mac mini as an HTPC, and the ATV2, I've pretty much been through every trick and worked through many a hassle.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup! Those are two great tools. It was totally worth the 5 bucks to register MKVtools to allow for batch processing. The one downside I should mention to iDentify is that it doesn't allow for re-sorting by "DVD Order" if the shows were aired out of order. Getting my Firefly rips in order was a bit of a nuisance. The developer is re-writing iDentify and plans to add that in.

One other good metadata tool is MetaX. It's better for making manual changes. It came in handy when fixing the numbering for Firefly after running that through iDentify.

Need any other tips, just holler. Between the original ATV, a Mac mini as an HTPC, and the ATV2, I've pretty much been through every trick and worked through many a hassle.

Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to input Stargate SG-1 from my DVD collection, but iDentify was getting the order all wrong. I suppose I'll wait for the update. I would totally pay for MKVTools, but apparently at version 2.5 you will have to pay again, so I'll just wait...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to input Stargate SG-1 from my DVD collection, but iDentify was getting the order all wrong. I suppose I'll wait for the update. I would totally pay for MKVTools, but apparently at version 2.5 you will have to pay again, so I'll just wait...

I just ran into one problem with iDentify. Actually it's not a problem with it so much as TagChimp, where it gets some information. I suggest turning off TagChimp in the preferences. iDentify uses it for chapter titling in particular, but TagChimp is riddled with bad information, especially with chapters. It wiped out many of my chapter tags, so now in some cases where I had 6 chapters, I only show perhaps 3, and they aren't even the right time codes.

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the ATV 2G and XBMC world
Is there a quick way to understand what the BIG deal is about XBMC being on my ATV2G?
I played around with it last night, seemed like a great idea, but what is the actual use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Last night the developers released XBMC for the Apple TV 2.

Dont know how i missed this thread.
Would you have a link to decent understanding instructions ?? And what you used to jb it.
I have over the last week tried with GreenpoisOn untethered JB. Ist few times i stuffed it up. Bricked it and restored a handful of time. Now i ended up JB it and got to the nitoTV dropdown and went to install the XMBC app and a cpl of others and it seemed to time out. Couldnt find it and tried it many times then kept getting a error saying i had to install manually. Now i have no idea of terminal, only using it to copy paste into it to get rid of dashboard.

Now if not to much trouble i would like to restore again and use another jb. So which do you use and if there is a walkthrough somewhere to follow.
There are a lot of instructions but some blogs NEED to talk tech and not in common folk language lol

Any help links would be greatly appreciated. Once i have done it ill be right, so im a hands on bloke,just need it easy to understand for the 1st try

Appreciate any help/links you can give.

So a round up all i have is my ATV2 jb with GreenpoisOn and i cant install any Apps what so ever :(

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm brand new to the ATV 2G and XBMC world
Is there a quick way to understand what the BIG deal is about XBMC being on my ATV2G?
I played around with it last night, seemed like a great idea, but what is the actual use?

Well XBMC will support playback of pretty much any media type. Apple only supports MPEG4, so if you have other videos that aren't compatible, XBMC can let you play those. In particular, it supports MKV files, which is a rather excellent format for videos because it supports pretty much any video and audio codecs and subtitle formats. The latter is significant because MPEG 4 only supports .srt subtitles, which is limited in significant ways (2 lines of text, no rich text formatting, for example). There are websites for anime fans with subtitles for various titles in the Substation Alpha format that are highly desirable for various reasons (fancier fonts and colors, ability to place the text anywhere on screen for a given scene, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Great thread. I've got xbmc installed on my AppleTV and haven't really been sure of benefit (really wanted it for BBC iPlayer but that isn't available any more). Going to remove and just rip/remux as necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.