One iCal, two accounts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
Hi, just moving over to my new iMac and learning as I go along :Blushing:

I would like to have an account for each member of the family, which I have set up, however is there a way of me and the wife seeing / updating the same iCal calander?

I don't want to use Outlook - trying to stay away from Windows ;P

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As far as I know, you would have to share a user ID (log on name) and then create 2 calendars in iCal. You can assign different colors to multiple calendars and name them and check/uncheck to see or not see them.

MobileMe might offer a solution that does not involve sharing a user ID, but I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would like to have an account for each member of the family, which I have set up, however is there a way of me and the wife seeing / updating the same iCal calander?

create 2 calendars in iCal

If I'm missing the point here, I apologize. Now, my second pre-apology; if this is too simplistic...

We only have one account. My wife and I reference the same iCal calendar. But, if iCal lives in the HD/Applications folder (and not in the User folder) why would it be any different from different accounts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'm missing the point here, I apologize. Now, my second pre-apology; if this is too simplistic...

We only have one account. My wife and I reference the same iCal calendar. But, if iCal lives in the HD/Applications folder (an not in the User folder) why would it be any different from different accounts?

I did not know that. So if you sign in under another account, you should be able to see the same calendar? Cool. I learn something new every day. Wife and I don't have separate user IDs, so I'm not too familiar with all the nuances of that.

In which case, having 2 calendars within iCal would be a solution.

Screen shot 2011-01-21 at 1.56.00 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I second the Google option. You can sync across many computers, plus you can check it on your smartphone or on another computer. It works wonderfully with iCal.

I currently have two calendars synced with iCal. One is my personal calendar and one is my work calendar. I'm sharing my work calendar with my boss, who can view and change it all he wants, but he can't access my personal calendar. It's all very convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In which case, having 2 calendars within iCal would be a solution.

No, I don't think it would be. Again, if I understand the objective properly, it is to share the same iCal between two users, not have different ones. And, the way I use Calendars in iCal, as in your screen shot, they aren't separate. They just populate the same "grid" in different colors. So I group payment reminders together, in green, of course; and birthdays in another color, and so on. Hopefully someone who both uses iCal and separate user accounts can set us straight on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I don't think it would be. Again, if I understand the objective properly, it is to share the same iCal between two users, not have different ones. And, the way I use Calendars in iCal, as in your screen shot, they aren't separate. They just populate the same "grid" in different colors. So I group payment reminders together, in green, of course; and birthdays in another color, and so on. Hopefully someone who both uses iCal and separate user accounts can set us straight on this.

I think we're saying the same thing in different "languages". :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My translation is different. ;)
I wonder how the OP is faring with a solution?

????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.