Tidying Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to using my Mac (OS X 10.6.6, only about 7/8 months old), mainly just using iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie & Safari.

I've noticed recently that the Mac seems to be running a little slower than usual so I checked the Hard Drive (500GB capacity) to find that 270GB is in use. Is there any way to display what exactly is using that memory like you can when an iPod is connected to iTunes? I can see that iPhoto & iTunes combined is only using 25-30GB, but have been unable to find out how much is on iMovies (which only has one project).

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Using Finder (left side column) go to Mac HD/users/yourname/Movies.

There you will see all your Movies including iMovie Projects and iMovie Events.

Left Click once on each of these just to highlight each one. Then Command I (letter "eye" for Information) and you will get info on the total File Size of both iMovie Projects & iMovie Events.

They can be huge. If so, you can Burn the Project(s) to iDVD and/or Drag these two Folders to an Ext HD and store them there. To view them in the future or on another Mac, Drag or Copy them back to Movies using the same Path as above.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.