8.6 query tcp/ip

M

morrison

Hi everyone,

I was given a mac with os 8.6 and wish to set it up for my parents to surf the internet. However, i am having trouble configuring tcp/ip window where it does not indicate the option to connect via PPP. I do not see that option anywhere....even in configure there is no "using ppp server".
I have the original os disc.

cheers for any assistance
bye :yinyang:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it's been a while but think the problem could be the PPP control panel is not there or in the disabled control panels folder. Otherwise the option to use PPP should be there under TCP/IP. Check control panels and see if there is a PPP. If not open the system folder and look for a disabled control panel folder. If Extensions Manager is installed, run it and see if the PPP control Panel is disabled. If it's not on the system I would say since you have the OS CD, reinstall. I will check out my old PPC mac later and see what I can find.

OP
M

morrison

Hi,
thanx for replying....under control panel there is no ppp, but i shall
look at those directions you gave....talk soon!!!

bye :mac:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I posted for you was really my memory of Mac OS7 coming back to haunt me!

I have my 8100/100 going right now in OS 8.6 Under TCP/IP there are two places to click. One Connect Via and the other Configure. PPP is selected from Connect Via then you can click on Configure and it will be there. From what I can see the dialer is under Remote access in Control Panel. There you can put in the username, Password and phone number. Hope that helps you and sorry for remembering wrong. They changed things between 7 and 8.5 quite a bit. 8.6 had even more changes. If I can help more let me know. This system works great on DSL and Dialup.

OP
M

morrison

Hi,
Unfortunately, i am not getting that choice (ppp) when i click connect via. Is there a way to place it in there?
I can and have configured remote access

cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
morrison said:
Hi,
Unfortunately, i am not getting that choice (ppp) when i click connect via. Is there a way to place it in there?
I can and have configured remote access

cheers

I will check a few things on my old mac and see if I can find what is missing on your machine and get back to you.

OP
M

morrison

Hi,
I have installed freeppp....but now when i go to
control panel---modem

i get a statement saying
"no serial port available"

as i said, i have an external modem and it has one of those 9? pin
going to a round serial plug on the mac with a phone pic beside it. Ahhh!

cheers for any assistance :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.