• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A 'Region' issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Whilst having a clean-out the other day, I rediscovered a (legal) DVD I purchased from the US a few years ago. I'm sure when I ordered it, I ordered the copy appropriate to AUS, but I've never been able to play it, so suspect I may have been supplied a US-region copy. It's sat on the shelf for quite some time collecting dust...

I popped it into my MBP this evening to see if it would play for me. Alas, the drive spun (at a very slow speed) briefly, then just spat the disc out. So I put it back in and had a look with both Finder and Total Finder, but apparently the disc is not even recognised before it gets spat out.

A web-search revealed VLC may be the answer, so started that, popped the disc back in -but same result.

It's a movie I've been looking forward to seeing for a long time, since it had such rave industry (aviation) reviews, entitled One Six Right. Since the disc has never been played, it's physically in pristine condition.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer that may allow me to view the movie!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
VLC doesn't always work to play a "non-region" DVD. The DVD you purchased is as you say probably coded for the US-Canada and your optical drive firmware is looking for Australia.

What you can do is switch regions in order for your optical drive to play the DVD. Or do like many folks do who have large collections of DVDs from other regions. Keep an external drive handy which is coded to play using the other region code. I know it's a pain but then so is the whole region thing.

What I don't understand is why the DVD ejected from your optical drive. It should not have done so. You might want to blow some compressed air in the drive to make sure that dust is not obscuring the lens.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice chscag. I'll give that a go... just one more nubbin question, for this topic anyways: how do I switch regions?

The disc spitting out like it does causes me some pause also. I know it shouldn't do that and in fact, any other DVD's I pop in the drive are fine; no problem at all. It's just this one that gets spat back. Hence the note re the physical condition of the disc.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting...

I still have my old Win7 PC here too -1st time I've started the thing in months (took over an our to get it going!!! But that's a whole other story) and it won't read the DVD either! All it tells me is there is no disc in the drive! Seems my problem may be with the way the DVD is written. Off I go back to the 'net to see if I can find the original supplier and discuss the issue with them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
When you open the DVD Player with DVD that has a different region code a window should open asking you to switch the region. Careful though, this can only be done 5 times.

Not sure about the spitting out issue either, my brothers MBP did this awhile too with one self burned disk.
We stuck a cleaning DVD in and let it run awhile, and did a DVD Firmware update that was in Software Update. It read the disk after that, but it still took forever in mounting it.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks McYukon. Unfortunately, I'm not getting even that far -the disc simply won't mount -in either OS-X on my MBP or Win7 on my old PC.

I'm currently chasing down a resolution with the original supplier, which appears to be Sporty's in the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.