Macbook pro kernel panic

Reaction score
I have a late 2007 MBP 2.2ghz 2gigs of ram, I got the kernel panic message about a week ago after downloading a word document for school. I then followed the online guides of how to fix it to no avail. After my computer gets the "you must restart now" screen I shut it down remove the ram and reinstall it. After the ram is reinstalled the computer will start up normally and run for several minutes then get the restart screen again. I have installed other ram with the same results. I made another partition on my hard drive in an attempt to install osx on the other partition. The install was going flawlessly and was around 50% complete when the restart screen stopped it. I have reset the pram and verified the disk permissions and verified the disk. What should be my next step? My warranty ended 6 months ago so I am attempting to repair this on my own.

Thanks for any help,
Kellen

OP
K
Reaction score
ps I am unsure if this is the proper place for this question, feel free to move it to the proper place if you see fit.

Kellen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is the right forum and Welcome.

The next time your MBP goes into kernel panic, copy the contents from the crash log and post it here for us to look at. Perhaps we can figure something out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just looked over both panic report documents. The system is going into immediate panic which leads me to believe it's a hardware failure rather than being caused by software.

However, I would like you to try this first to make sure: Let's try to startup in Safe mode: Reboot and as soon as you hear the chime, press and hold down the Shift key. Keep holding until the Apple appears.

If the machine panics even from Safe mode, we can eliminate software or drivers as a cause.

Also, in the meantime download a memory check program. MemTest OS X The panic reports are inconclusive because the registers are dumping as soon as the system starts to load. It could be bad memory but of that, I'm not sure.

Post back results of starting in Safe mode.

OP
K
Reaction score
I did as you suggested and attempted to boot the mac in safe mode and while it ran for some time it did after about 30 minutes get the message. After I removed the ram and reinstalled it I ran the memory check program and the computer didnt freeze up during the check. Right after the computer finished running the memory check and it said that everything was ok, I moved the cursor and right away the kernel panic message scrolled down the screen. Are there other things that I can do to narrow down the problem?

Thank you for the assistance,
Kellen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not much else we can try... You can try replacing the memory modules with new ones just in case the memory is intermittent. Buy the memory from a reseller who offers a refund on returns. This way if it turns out the original memory is OK, you can return the new modules and get your money back.

The only other thing that I can think of which will send the machine into panic so quickly is a bad or faulty logic board.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have tried a different set of ram in my computer with no change after this failure i assumed it was a faulty logic board as suggested. I let the laptop sit with ram removed for several days and today just reinstalled the factory ram in an attempt to try the computer one last time. I have been using the computer for the last three hours with no ill effects. Could my logic board still be faulty but let my computer run for hours? My mac has seemed slower and I only have 20 gigs left on my HD could this be causing any problems?

Thanks,
Kellen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just keep your fingers crossed.... Declining hard drive space will not cause kernel panics. But before you give up and have it repaired try one more thing:

The next time it goes into KP, shut it down. Open it up on the bottom, remove the battery first and then remove the hard drive from the machine but leave the memory modules intact. Replace the battery, close the machine up. Now boot it with your install DVD and let it run and run and run. Let's see if it goes into KP or not.

The reason to try this is just in case the hard drive somehow is causing the KPs. I've seen that happen before. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.