SSD optimizations for Mac Desktops

Reaction score
Hi I just recently switching from windows to Mac. My desktop is running 10.6.6 and I just bought a 64 GB Kingston V100 SSD HD. I know for windows SSD needs a few optimizations made to them. Is this the case for snow leopard also. If so can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac forums.

What few optimizations are you referring to? As far as I know, SSDs do not have to be optimized prior to usage whether they're installed in a PC or a Mac. If you're thinking about TRIM, Windows 7 does support it, however, Mac OS X Snow Leopard does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You will need to format the rive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) You can do this by booting from the Snow Lopard disc, going into Utilities in the Menu Bar and choosing Disk Utility. Do a clean install thn from the Snow Leopard disc. If you are leaving the current drive in whatever your desktop is, you can transfer files, applications etc over by using Migration Assistant in utilities in the Applications folder.

Also you can use Migration Assistant if the former drive with SL on it is connected via an external case.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. By optimizations I mean items like these

noatime

Other items like not putting the HD to sleep and disabling Sudden Motion Sensor and Uncheck "Put the Hard Disk to sleep when possible", under Energy Saver in System Preferences I believe apply to macbooks rather than the desktops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mixed comments about noatime. Personally am very cautious about all that tinkering in Terminal. My Mercury Extreme SSD flies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Speaking of the Mercury Extreme, does that have any issues with sleep or hibernation? I've heard that an ssd with sandforce controllers have that problem. I know that the Mercury Extreme uses sandforce so I don't know. I was thinking of switching to one when I run out of space on my Intel X25-M but I don't want to run into any issues.

Reaction score
Speaking of the Mercury Extreme, does that have any issues with sleep or hibernation? I've heard that an ssd with sandforce controllers have that problem. I know that the Mercury Extreme uses sandforce so I don't know. I was thinking of switching to one when I run out of space on my Intel X25-M but I don't want to run into any issues.

There are a number of issues with the sandforce-based SSD's:
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Problem - MacRumors Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No my M<ac Pro has no problem nodding off at all.

Reading threads problem seems to be with MacBook and MacBook Pros.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.