Intel Cube

Reaction score
So I am building a Mac, in a way. I just ordered myself two Mac Cubes to play with when I realized that almost quite literally you can fit a Mac Mini, or even a few within the Cube's Core. I want to complete Apple's dream with building a Cube Pro. By using three unibody Mac Minis (obviously ripping out the logic boards) I want to cluster them together to have six cores of 2.66GHz power. Running with 24GB of RAM. Then having three 64GB SSD (got to save some space somewhere) for the drives.

Am I crazy to go any further than just having two sweet ol' cubes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not support Hackintoshes here sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I crazy to go any further than just having two sweet ol' cubes?

Sounds like an interesting project (if it wasn't for the high cost)...but you might be forgetting one thing...cooling. Stacking 3 Mac-mini's on top of each other inside a Mac-cube case...is going to generate a lot of heat.

But yes...I think that you are crazy!;) Three 2.66ghz Mac-mini's will cost ($850 x 3 = ~ $2550) + ($150 x 3 =$450) = $3000!!! I think that you can do a lot better with that $3000 buying something else.

Besides...this project would destroy 2 Mac-Cubes!:(

- Nick

p.s. What I would suggest is...try doing the same project...but do it with 3 older G4 Mac-mini's (about $350-$450)...and skip the SSD drives. This way you can work out the "kinks" first before spending $3000.

OP
K
Reaction score
@harry, ya sorry if it had the wrong impression. It's all Mac stuff, minus the SSDs, but I am just hacking a bunch of macs together.

@Pigoo, agreed the cost would be crazy, and I think I will try using older intel minis, maybe. The reason why I want new ones because they are flatter, if I use older minis I can only fit two. The Cubes come in on Monday so once I check them out I will see what I want to do with them. Maybe just two new minis and a few SSDs. Apple wanted the Cube to be a mini Power Mac, I want to make that a reality, but a dual core just wont cut it. Quad is almost perfect.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.