Discount on software when buying new MBP at Apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Ok, the funds are finally here and I'll be buying my new MBP this weekend. (Yea me!)

Question. When you buy from the Apple on-line store you get a discount on software purchased with a new computer. Does the same apply at a brick and mortar Apple Store? What about hardware upgrades? The online store sells iworks for $49 and an upgrade from a 250gb HDD to a 320gb is $50.

I'll probably just call the store, but wanted to see if anyone here knew first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The iWork discount was included at the store when I bought mine along with a discount on
Mobile Me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Upgrade the internal HDD yourself. Not hard at all and there's plenty of iFixIt or YouTube videos to show you how. Same goes for RAM. Cheaper to do those things yourself.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Upgrade the internal HDD yourself. Not hard at all and there's plenty of iFixIt or YouTube videos to show you how. Same goes for RAM. Cheaper to do those things yourself.

According to the online Apple store the HDD upgrade is only $50 when buying a new MBP. I don't think I can buy a 320gb HDD for that. Of course, that's assuming the local store will do the same deal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's not forget that the $50 "upgrade" is really a trade in price. You traded in the stock hard drive that came with the machine for the larger drive and had to give Apple $50 for the privilege of doing so. ;)

You can buy a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive for just a little more than $50 from most good on line vendors and still be able to keep the drive that came with the machine.

Which is the better deal?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Thanks or the info chscag. I looked at some of the upgrade hard drives at Other World Computing (mentioned in another thread). Didn't realize they'd be that cheap. I'll probably hold off on any upgrades for a while. The basic MBP should be more than enough for what I do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.