Back up To DVDs? External HDDs can't Read Windows Formatted Drives.

Reaction score
I have a new 2T external HDD and am finding out, apparently like everyone else, that if I back up to it on my Mac, I won't be able to read it on a Windows system later. Since the purpose of spending the bucks for backup IS to have access to one's files, this worries me!

So..........IS there a remedy?

Should we be backing up to DVDs instead? Would that solve the problem of going from Mac to Windows & vice versa? I'm not sure that's even plausible, not with all the music and photo files we have nowadays.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using a 2 TB drive to backup to from your Mac, why would you need or have occasion to read the files from it with your PC?

Now, if you want to use that 2 TB drive for both your Mac and Windows PC you can partition it into two partitions: 1 partition formatted as HFS+ for Time Machine backups and the other formatted to FAT-32 for common data.

BTW, I like your avatar symbol. (Menorah, Star of David, Fish) :)

OP
Arielluria
Reaction score
Thanks on all counts! You can copy the symbol from my blog if you like: Bible Apologetic

MessianicSealAnim.gif

BTW, am merely making sure everything I back up on Mac can be read on Windows if need be, otherwise illegible backups are a waste of time ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I just bookmarked the site. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.