Source for eBooks?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I know we have discussed this somewhat in other posts, but I would like to revisit here because of something that happened to me recently on some iBook purchases.

I bought the entire SPQR series that was available electronically (a total of 12 ebooks). In checking my purchased items Tuesday I found out that Apple had no record of 10 of the 12 titles. I emailed Apple and they had me dig through my email receipts and the purchase history on the iTunes Store (a lengthy procedure because I have a lot of APPs and Books). The problem was resolved and Apple was responsive as they always have been in my experience. But it has soured me even more on DRM and media.

My current favorite source for eBooks is BAEN Webscription. The prices are good, books are DRM free and multi-format available. The only problem is limited content.
I tried Fictionwise and couldn't find anything on their site I was really interested in.

So, my question is any other sources out there I haven't considered?
(Not Amazon obviously, I buy from them too but the DRM issue is there as well).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I put this one up awhile back - link.

For Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans, Amazon and B&N are probably the best 2 places besides Baen.

For buying DRM, Amazon is probably the way to go if you're concerned about going from device to device. Their app is available on practically everything except the Nook and Sony readers.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks, Bob.
I knew about all of those except Scribd (will check it out). Wasn't so much looking for free books as I was books without DRM.
If you purchase books from BAEN (the Webscription rather than free library site) they sell them without DRM and the prices are very good, but as you know they only sell SF (that they publish).
I have bought a lot of books from Amazon and really appreciate the portability from device to device, but I still like having the choice which reader I use to open my books, which is my only complaint with Kindle purchases.

Anyway, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.