• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

American TV like UK TV?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I was wondering whether in America you had British Programs, like here in the UK we have alot of American shows?

completely random question but i have wondered this for a while :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
We have BBC America. I watch it quite often, especially for Top Gear.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep and you can check out what we get to see at:

BBC America

Of course, it's only available to cable and satellite subscribers - which is probably most TV viewers. Think it's also with the basic packages, so not like it's a premium subscription or anything either.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...we do get "BBC America" like "MacMan886" mentioned. I watch "Top Gear", "Doctor Who"...cooking shows, and there used to be a show called "The Hotel Inspector" (I think)...which I liked.

And yes...we Americans do have:

- two arms
- two legs
- one nose
- two eyes

But no:

- the steering wheel on our cars is on the left
- we don't smoke "****"
- we have apartments...not "flats"

God save the Queen!;)

Cheerio,

- Nick

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
its really interesting to see what you get to see over there! it sucks you have to have satellite to get it though. is it just BBC you get, or are there other programs?

being left handed, id rather we were on the left to be honest! but then we woudnt be able to see round sharp left hand bends haha.

on another note, doesn't Jeremy Clarkson do a lot of America bashing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its really interesting to see what you get to see over there! it sucks you have to have satellite to get it though. is it just BBC you get, or are there other programs?

We get BBC America on cable TV as well. From my experience (watching a channlsl we get called the "Cooking Channel" and another called the "Home & Garden" channel)...many of these programs originate in the UK...so these channels have a fair amount of UK programs.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Lately BBC America has more and better Science Fiction than the SciFi Channel which seems to be focusing on wrestling these days!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Lately BBC America has more and better Science Fiction than the SciFi Channel which seems to be focusing on wrestling these days!
There's a Sci Fi channel? Wow! I wish I got that. Pity about the wrestling, though; we get plenty of wrestling on the "Syfy" network as it is. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I agree...the "SyFy" channel" has really gotten bad. Between the wrestling, the "cheezy" made for SyFy Channel movies, and the poor acting lame SyFy shows...I find myself watching it less & less.

The SyFy channel used to be pretty good when it still had "Battlestar Galactica" (the new version)...and 'Stargate". I understand that those shows can't go on forever...the SyFy channel just isn't replacing those shows with quality new shows. I'm also sick of vampires, zombies, ghosts, and werewolves!!!;)

Doctor Who & Torchwood on BBC America are definitely much more worthy of my TV watching time!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a Sci Fi channel? Wow! I wish I got that. Pity about the wrestling, though; we get plenty of wrestling on the "Syfy" network as it is. ;)

Yes you're right...the current & accurate abbreviation for the Science Fiction channel is "SyFy"...but the name did used to be "Sci-Fi". Something like around Spring, 2009.

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy

- Nick

C

chas_m

UK televisions shows pop up a lot on a typical US cable subscriber's system, but I don't think it's as pervasive as it is in the UK (I used to live in England).

Discerning viewers of US television can find quite a lot of UK stuff on various channels, not just BBC America ... there's also a hefty amount on the various Public Broadcasting System (PBS) channels, and BBC World News is on in some form on several stations as well.

I'm pleased to say that several of these shows: Doctor Who, Torchwood, Being Human, Robin Hood, Merlin, Top Gear and even the UK (original) version of "The Office" have become minor, or cult, or in some cases mainstream hits. This goes for Canada as well, since we get most of the US stuff plus our own stuff ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
TV generally sucks. I would think about cancelling my cable subscription if it wasn't for HBO shows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TV generally sucks. I would think about cancelling my cable subscription if it wasn't for HBO shows.

On top of that...$170/month (including hi-speed internet)...is getting expensive as well!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are leaving the world of cable TV at the end of January 2011. Way too much money that could better go for something real. Our antenna works great for HD and everything else is online. Most of the programming is retread of stuff that was on between 1970 and 1999 anyhow (which was based on stuff from earlier still). Cutting home phone and DirectTV will save me $180 a month or about $2160 a year! That's like getting free electric, gas and internet!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are leaving the world of cable TV at the end of January 2011. Way too much money that could better go for something real. Our antenna works great for HD and everything else is online.

Cutting home phone and DirectTV will save me $180 a month or about $2160 a year! That's like getting free electric, gas and internet!

Just curious...will you still have high speed internet (assuming you have it now)...and if so...how are you getting it if you cut home phone, cable TV and/or Direct TV (still the cable company)?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cable supplied internet. I guess I should have stressed the TV part of "leaving the world of cable TV". Our plan is to use broadcast TV, a wired internet connection, and our cellular phones. We simply don't want to spend $100+ for the television programming and $60+ for home-bound voice communications. We are not physically going off of the grid at this time - just cutting out billable services.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cable supplied internet. I guess I should have stressed the TV part of "leaving the world of cable TV". Our plan is to use broadcast TV, a wired internet connection, and our cellular phones.

The wife & I are thinking of doing practically the same thing. As far as the traditional phone...we compromised & got rid of the "phone company" @ $40-$60/month...and went with Vonage for about $20/month. I think you can get Vonage for around $15 now.

- Nick

p.s. Sorry for getting off topic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just curious...will you still have high speed internet (assuming you have it now)...and if so...how are you getting it if you cut home phone, cable TV and/or Direct TV (still the cable company)?

Good point Nick. Like so many other folks who are paying outrageous cable bills, I would like to cut it off and use the net or an HD antenna, however, I've gotten so used to the hi-speed net access, I can't bring myself to do it.

I've compared rates among the cable companies here in the DFW area of Texas, and they're all fairly close in what they charge. The only reason I use Verizon is because they offer FIOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
UK (original) version of "The Office" have become minor, or cult,

That is a awesome show. I laugh for a good 20 minutes watching that

On top of that...$170/month (including hi-speed internet)...is getting expensive as well!:(

- Nick

WOW That is over the top Crazy prices . . . . . I really really thought we had it bad here down under . . . .
I suppose not anymore . . . . . .

SOOOO what crappy Aussie shows do you get in the US then ??? lol

Im guessing Zilch, zero, nadda, NONE HAHAH

We have such awesomous TV here ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW That is over the top Crazy prices . . . . . I really really thought we had it bad here down under . . . .
I suppose not anymore . . . . . .

I'm guessing some folks across the world pay even higher prices...but like everywhere...the prices just keep going up, and service & quality of what we're getting is just getting worse.

I mean...how many more commercials can they squeeze into each hour of programming anymore. And with many television programs that I watch...the first 2-3 minutes of programming after the return to the TV show after a commercial break is a "recap" of what happened so far. So add up all the commercials + all of the time wasted recapping...and I swear out of 60 minutes of programming you get like 25-30 minutes of actual content!:(

SOOOO what crappy Aussie shows do you get in the US then ??? lol

Im guessing Zilch, zero, nadda, NONE HAHAH

We have such awesomous TV here ;P

I wish we did get some "Aussie" TV...it would probably be a lot of the same "horse-crap" (game shows, reality TV shows, etc.)...but I bet some of the shows would be good.:)

But thank you very much...I don't need any "Australian Football"!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.