New mac user working with wired ethernet (en0)

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm new with OSX, but an old-hat with Unix which made making the switch to Mac that much easier (overlooking the price tag that is). The issue I'm running into is i'm trying to copy a DVD iso to my laptop so I can burn it so I can install CentOS on another system I have.

The problem I'm running into is I'm impatient and running this over wifi is killing me as it's slow as ****. I do have access to a network drop that I attempted to plug in but quickly ran into an issue where the mac only uses self-assigned addresses.

I know this drop is configured properly as this same drop was plugged into a winblowz system which quickly obtained an IP. I've also swapped vlans, and hardcoded the network drop to 100-full.

The switch I'm plugging into is a Cisco 3550-24pwr and is functioning as expected as all other devices on the LAN are working.

The symptoms of this issue on the MAC are interesting, out of sheer frustration I loaded up tcpdump on en0 (wired network) and noted that DHCP requests are going out, but no responses are being received. I've disabled the firewall and still nothing.

I love my mac pro, but this issue is really starting to irritate the snot out of me as the laptop sends three DHCP requests out in quick succession; thank GOD i have spanning-tree portfast configured on my port.

help :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you say the Mac only uses self-assigned addresses? Can you explain? You can have it self-assigned an IP but also take on from DHCP. Or am I mis-interpretting what you mean?

Try creating a new, default network profile on your Mac using DHCP and the IP option. If your network is issues IPs as normal it should work fine. I've dropped my MacBook using the default settings onto multiple networks both wirelessly and wired without issue so I know it 'should' work.

OP
G
Reaction score
i apologize for being a big ambiguous; screaming toddlers and technical issues don't mix ;)

I'm referring to self assigned (auto-configuration) addresses in the 169.254.0.0/16 address space (RFC3330)

I'm able to successfully get online and work with wireless with no issues at all. I've also been able to tether my Iphone to this awesome laptop as well. This is the first time i've attempted to connect the Ethernet port to my home network.

I'll try deleting the profiles, right now I have a home, work, and auto profile. I'll delete home and work profiles and give it a go again.

edit: After deleting the other profiles, i'm still receiving the auto-configuration address assignment 169.254.29.75/16 :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
In Network Prefs, drag the ethernet device to the top of the list. (creating a new Location with this setting would help the next time you plug in a cable, too)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.