Pressure crack, how much for ipad repair?!

Reaction score
Hey there, near enough a week ago my ipad had crashed on me. It gained a pressure crack at the top of the screen, and i honestly didn't know how. I don't know if i'm still within some sort of warranty because i've had this since the middle of august.

Anyway i sent it off to krcs in leeds to get it sent off to apple to be repaired or to be exchanged, but i honestly don't know how much it's gonna be to repair it. It's a 64gb ipad wifi, and apples website doesn't show it!

Help pleeease!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway i sent it off to krcs in leeds to get it sent off to apple to be repaired or to be exchanged, but i honestly don't know how much it's gonna be to repair it. It's a 64gb ipad wifi, and apples website doesn't show it!

Call Apple & see what they say. You should still have Applecare...since you automatically get 12 months of coverage with your purchase. But it would depend if this sort of problem is covered.

If you've already sent it for repair...if there is a charge...hopefully that will contact you with the costs before repairing it.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Call Apple & see what they say. You should still have Applecare...since you automatically get 12 months of coverage with your purchase. But it would depend if this sort of problem is covered.

If you've already sent it for repair...if there is a charge...hopefully that will contact you with the costs before repairing it.

Good luck,

- Nick

So basically the iPad automatically get's 12 months warranty with the purchase? I purchased it from PC world, so it SHOULD already have that warranty. it didn't seem as though there was any cracks on the screen, in fact there wasn't any, the only other damage dealt on the iPad was a few miner scratches on the side of the iPad, nothing really noticeable.

I'm just wondering how much the piricing on average could be if the iPad does get a charge? I wouldn't really know if it could get a charge seen as though there was hardly any damage dealt at all, no cracks on the screen, only the slight scratches on the back and on the side... so what do you think'll be the outcome?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically the iPad automatically get's 12 months warranty with the purchase?

Yes that's correct. All Apple products (computers, monitors, iPads, etc.)...automatically come with 12 months of Applecare. But...Applecare does not necessarily cover everything. It basically is supposed to cover manufacturing defects...not accidents. So it comes down to how the Apple (or repair person) examining your iPad classifies the damage.

I'm just wondering how much the piricing on average could be if the iPad does get a charge?

I've actually have never heard (yet) of anyone needing to get their iPad repaired...so your iPad is the first one. But obviously the cost would depend on what part or parts need to be replaced...and how much labor is involved.

But again...if you're lucky...maybe it will be replaced for free due to the Applecare.

If you really need to know the cost...just anonymously call an Apple Store...explain to them the damage...and maybe they can give you an estimate of the repair costs...or if the problem is repairable for free with Applecare.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes that's correct. All Apple products (computers, monitors, iPads, etc.)...automatically come with 12 months of Applecare. But...Applecare does not necessarily cover everything. It basically is supposed to cover manufacturing defects...not accidents. So it comes down to how the Apple (or repair person) examining your iPad classifies the damage.

I've actually have never heard (yet) of anyone needing to get their iPad repaired...so your iPad is the first one. But obviously the cost would depend on what part or parts need to be replaced...and how much labor is involved.

But again...if you're lucky...maybe it will be replaced for free due to the Applecare.

If you really need to know the cost...just anonymously call an Apple Store...explain to them the damage...and maybe they can give you an estimate of the repair costs...or if the problem is repairable for free with Applecare.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks so much for that! I'd take a picture of my iPad but as i say it's gone to Apple xD. KRCS claimed that the screen was slightly bent and there was a big dent at the back of the iPad, however I've never seen a dent on the back of the iPad personally, as i say, only scratches and pressure crack were found on it.

But thanks dude, I'm sure with the warranty they'll be able to get me a free model or give it a small fee :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But thanks dude, I'm sure with the warranty they'll be able to get me a free model or give it a small fee :)

I'm assuming you're in the UK (you mentioned "Leeds")...so I'm not 100% sure how the repair process works in the UK.

Are you really far from an Apple Store? Usually it's best to go to an Apple Store for the repair...or ship the computer to the nearest "Official" Apple repair facility (not sure if this is the place you're referring to that you sent your iPad).

The reason why I mention this is...Apple employees can be really flexible when it comes to interpreting the terms of the Applecare warranty. So even if the damage was caused by an accident...sometimes the Apple folks will not worry about about it...and fix it for free anyway. Or...maybe the problem you have with your iPad is common...and Apple is fixing this with "no questions asked" so to speak (for free).

If the iPad is sent to non-Apple folks (even if they are an "Apple Certified repair facility")...they still may not be "thinking" like an Apple person...and only thinking of "profit" $$$.

Again good luck...please let us know how things turn out,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again dude. One query, if i think the repair is gonna cost a **** of a lot, is there any chance of getting the ipad back without repair and just send it somewhere else? Cheers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again dude. One query, if i think the repair is gonna cost a **** of a lot, is there any chance of getting the ipad back without repair and just send it somewhere else? Cheers.

This is how I would handle it. Just in case the repair folks you sent the iPad to don't call you first (before doing the repair and charging you)...call them up and say...

"If the repairs are not covered under Applecare...please contact me with the estimate for repair BEFORE doing anything."

This way you can decide (if the repair charges are too high) whether or not to actually have them do the repairs. Because in MANY cases...it can cost almost as much to repair an electronic device than it would cost to buy a new one. Or a significant portion of the cost of a new item.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.