External NTFS Formatted Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 6.1 (2009), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Hello,

I have the following issue:

I have a 1 TB NTFS Formatted External Drive and I can't copy from the Mac OS X to the external drive. I hit Cmd + C on the file and the Cmd + V option on the external drive is not enabled.

On Ubuntu Linux I copy from and to the drive with no issues.

Am I doing something wrong? Or its just not possible?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe it's not possible to write to a NTFS drive from a Mac (at least not without some type of third party utility) When we switched from Windows some time back, we had to format all of our external drives from NTFS to the proper format for Macs to be able to write to them.

OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 6.1 (2009), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
I could be wrong, but I believe it's not possible to write to a NTFS drive from a Mac (at least not without some type of third party utility) When we switched from Windows some time back, we had to format all of our external drives from NTFS to the proper format for Macs to be able to write to them.

Hmmm... I don't want to lose all the other software I have on the drive. Can I create a partition for the Mac stuff on the drive thus ending with a NTFS partition and a Mac partition? Which program/ utility should I use for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's load of info on the forums already for read/write NTFS from Mac but as a quick summary theres:
Paragon NTFS - my preferred solution
NTFS Mounter
MacFUSE

OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I installed Paragon and I can copy to/from the drive with no problems.

Just an issue occurred: I moved some files/folders from the external drive to the Trash and when I click "Empty Trash" it does the sound but the files are still there. They only disappear when I disconnect the drive.

Any hints / ideas?

OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I installed Paragon and I can copy to/from the drive with no problems.

Just an issue occurred: I moved some files/folders from the external drive to the Trash and when I click "Empty Trash" it does the sound but the files are still there. They only disappear when I disconnect the drive.

Any hints / ideas?

No one experience this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm afriad not.

Does it happen with any external or just one in particular?

OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afriad not.

Does it happen with any external or just one in particular?

I only tried with this one...

I will try with another as soon as I get home...

OP
BlueSpecial
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried with a 4 GB USB drive and it worked perfectly. Do you know what could be wrong with the other unit?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.