Open newer version of Pages?

Reaction score
Have an essay due in a few hours, which I emailed home to be proof read. My sister replied but has sent the updated essay with a newer version of Pages than I have, and so am unable to open it. Any ideas how I can open it? She has gone to work now, so I can't get her to resend it in a different format.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you meet the minimum system requirements, you can download the trial of iWorks from Apple or purchase Pages from the App store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe I'm behind on this one (not unusual for me) but I thought that the Pages document format did not change? I can understand if you were using an older copy of Apple Works, but as far as I'm aware, an older copy of Pages should be able to open a document made with a newer version.

What file extension did your sister use when she saved the proofed document? Did she save it as a MS Word file?

Reaction score
@chscag:
Actually, iWork '08 can't open files created with iWork '09.

@Chippy22:
for future reference:
Your sister should have gone to File > Save As > Save a copy as... selecting either "Word document" (.doc) or "Pages 08" from the pull down menu.

On your end, a workaround would be – as bobtomay suggested – downloading the trial version of iWork '09; after the 30-day trial period it turns into a simple viewer (which means you can still open documents but you can't save).

Another quick workaround would be to change the extension of the file from ".pages" to ".zip" [don't compress the file, just change the extension]. If the extension is hidden, the easiest way to do that is from the file's Get Info window in the Name & Extension field. Make the change, hit Return – or simply close the Get Info window – and accept the change to ".zip" when asked). Then unzip the file. In the unzipped folder you'll find a QuickLook folder and inside that a pdf of the document you were sent. That can also come in handy when someone is on a pc and can't have iWork.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, iWork '08 can't open files created with iWork '09.

Well, I said I was behind on this.... :) Thanks for posting that. I can't for the life of me imagine Apple doing that. Not even MS does that, at least not without providing a filter. Now I'm even more convinced about using MS Office rather than the less expensive version of iWorks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.