• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

movie formats

Reaction score
I want to see what is the best format to put my home movies in. Right now, in iMovie, when I export them, a file that is 10 minutes long is close to a Gig. Movies from iTunes are a couple of hours long, and unsually only about 1.5 gb. So what format (compression is it?) would anyone recommend, so that the image quality is not diminished (I'm exporting it to 1080p), yet the file size is smaller.

Most of my videos I'm putting on youtube, but I also want to save them for watching on my appleTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Whatever suits you. From the Share, Export to Quicktime option, DV will give the largest file and best quality, iPod probably the smallest and worst.

In the Export Movie option, try the different settings and see what you like.

OP
T
Reaction score
Whatever suits you. From the Share, Export to Quicktime option, DV will give the largest file and best quality, iPod probably the smallest and worst.

In the Export Movie option, try the different settings and see what you like.

I've tried the different settings, and the smaller files available for export, don't give the quality as the bigger files sizes.

That was a big part of my question -- there has to be better options out there, otherwise Apple wouldn't be able to cram a 2 hour 1080p HD movie into a file that is half the size as my 10 minute movie.

Are there better codecs for compression, is that the issue? Like H.264?

Thanks for your help

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
H.264 is your best bet, using handbrake. you have a lot of control over quality/file size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.