Programming Noob in need of help!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
As you can see from the title I am new to this whole idea of programming. I have just started the basics in college on how to write and run code. Currently in college we are using Smultron to write the code.
I wanted to be able to work on coding at home and as a result I have downloaded Smultron to my MBP... the problem now is that it wont work.

I created a file today and then went into Terminal to try and run it... We were told to type "make (project name)" and enter that but when I do that it says
"make: *** No rule to make target `practical1'. Stop."

I have downloaded xCode already so I don't that is the problem.

Can someone tell me how to get the make command to work???

*Go easy on me... It's my first day!* lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not sure (not a C/C++ person here) but check your Makefile for any errors. That might be a good place to start. Other than that, I'll have to let the C/C++ developers here step in.

OP
G
Reaction score
Not sure (not a C/C++ person here) but check your Makefile for any errors. That might be a good place to start. Other than that, I'll have to let the C/C++ developers here step in.

Ohhh that could be a problem... How do I create a makefile?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The make tool only works if you have a makefile. I'm sure there are many tutorials online on how to write makefiles. Surely your professor has/will cover(ed) this.

OP
G
Reaction score
Surely your professor has/will cover(ed) this.

Well no... We work in the labs in university which have already been set-up. I wanted to work on questions at home as well so that I can improve at a faster rate.
I will look up some tutorials now for the makefile creation.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all you help.

Thanks to the guys over at mac-rumors forums for figuring out that my problem was that I wasn't saving it to the right directory. I was saving the file to my desktop and terminal was looking for it in "USERNAME"

Thank you again.

I'm really excited to get stuck into some work in it.

PROBLEM SOLVED,
Gav

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.