CD drive

Reaction score
HI - My 2 year old Mac book pro will not play published music cd's. It draws them in makes noises for a while then spits them out. I cleaned the drive with compressed gas, but did not help.
please give advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Sounds like it's time to replace the optical drive. MCE Technology sells optical drive replacements for $139, or you can have them install it for you for a shipping and service fee. If hard drives are the most common repairs in most Mac portables, the optical drive is second. Thankfully, the repair is fairly simple and there are free guides to replacing them on iFixit.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Not having seen the drive, obviously, all I can give you is my best guess. The laser operates at different frequencies depending on media. It's certainly possible the laser would work for some media at one frequency and not on another at a different frequency. This could be due to power issues, laser diffusion, dirty mirrors... but if compressed air didn't blow dust around enough to make it read commercially pressed music CDs, I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. The problem most likely won't get better, and odds are will get worse. BTW, the drives I suggested are much faster than the stock optical that came with the computer. There are lots of vendors online though. MCE is just one I've used in the past and liked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.